• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800GTS loose in PCI-E ?

shG

n00b
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
41
Ok, this is actually my first time installing a video card by myself. So please take it easy on the comments.

Here's my problem: i have an 8800GTS that fits too loosely in my pci-e slot.I can actually wiggle the card while is it in the slot.

This is a picture to make this thread less boring.

hardoz4.jpg


Ok, so when I try to push the gold plated part into the PCI-e slot, the latch on my motherboard secures it, but it is still very loose. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard. Is it supposed to be loose like this?
 
Your fine.

I've been installing cards for 3 years and never once had any trouble with video cards in the way you discribed.

plug in the card and screw in the bracket. After that it wont move.

dont forget to install the aux power connector.

oh and your gonna be impressed with that 8800GTS, its an awsome card.
edit: aww i was calling it an 8800GTS because i know the PCB, hence proving im a nerd... but its in the thread title :(

/thread.

from now on thread_sarcasm 1.
 
does ur motherboard have the little clips at the end of the PCI-E port to 'lock in' your graphics card? if it does make sure its locked in, also does it wiggle up and down or in and out or forward and back?

i know both my 7600GT and 8600GTS have wiggled and been loose, but tend not to worry about it when everything in screwed in and clipped in place.
 
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, my motherboard has a latch at the end to "secure" the card. It still leaves a lot of room for side to side movement.

For such a heavy card, it doesn't feel like the gold plated areas can handle the stress. I haven't screwed it into my case though, because I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.
 
Back
Top