• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800GTS 512MB for PhysX

Simmonz

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,504
I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 soon and was wondering if it would be worth it to add an old 8800GTS 512MB in for dedicated PhysX ? I figure it can't hurt but I know I've seen the opposite in the past.
 
definitely not. the 8800GTS is a bottleneck when used for physx with high end cards. this was shown back in the 680 era.
 
worthless, sad but true

and this is from a guy that is setting up a dual 8800 SLI retro system next week
 
Thanks for the input gents. I'll keep the 8800GTS in my spare PC.
 
gtx 460 minimum, then 550, 640 for the lowest of those series
 
I wouldn't bother, Physx on vs off doesn't make a big difference in frame rate if you have a high-end Nvidia card so the second card would just be taking up space. Physx could comfortably run on the CPU too if Nvidia's software implementation wasn't purposefully crippled.
 
PhysX can be set to CPU in the NCP.

But only uses X87 code, no SIMD or multicore. And the last time I checked, we got off using Pentium II and early Athlon CPUs a long time ago. That's why Quix said it was crippled
 
But only uses X87 code, no SIMD or multicore. And the last time I checked, we got off using Pentium II and early Athlon CPUs a long time ago. That's why Quix said it was crippled

I reread that and understand what he meant. I initially though he meant software (as in the NCP) was crippled and prevents PhysX from running on the CPU. My bad and thanks for clarifying!
 
This makes me feel old... 8800 is considered retro.... Hell SLI is too new to be retro to me...

If it makes you feel an ybetter, the basement computer still uses an 8800 GTX, not dubbed a retro machine either :D. Still runs the new games well, although obviously not on the highest settings, I re purposed old parts for my younger brother. Also heats up the basement nicely during the winter.
 
try it and benchmark most likely gtx 980 faster on its own depending on application
 
Back
Top