8800GT heat qustion

If your getting 70c load your card is running cool. With stock cooling mine went to 91C and it ran fine.

If your getting 70c load your card is running cool. With stock cooling mine went to 91C and it ran fine.

Werid cause mine keeps on crashing like in games. I dont get any artifacts but i am getting crashes and freezes ! my oc WAS 710 1775 1045 and i guess my card cant handle it or something ! I keep on getting a ! mark on the bottom of the screen OOO it might be my cpu since im downloading stuff ? THink so ? like i have a download at 500kb/s a sec. Do you think the mix of the downloading and maxed out gaming is doing it ?

Reports over at NVNews claim a decent temp drop just by removing the stock thermal pad, cleaning with high purity alcohol (denatured, isopropyl, MEK are my preferred TIM eaters), and applying a good grease like Arctic Silver 5, Ceramique, or Arctic Cooling MX-2. If heat really is causing your problems, this mod does not take more than 10-15 minutes. Most of that time is spent removing, storing, and reinserting the heatsinks array of screws. I recommend ESD cautionary measures when handling the nekkid card, but it's your's to play with :D And do not remove the white gap fillers for the memory chips. I don't know where to get replacements if they are lost.

Reports over at NVNews claim a decent temp drop just by removing the stock thermal pad, cleaning with high purity alcohol (denatured, isopropyl, MEK are my preferred TIM eaters), and applying a good grease like Arctic Silver 5, Ceramique, or Arctic Cooling MX-2. If heat really is causing your problems, this mod does not take more than 10-15 minutes. Most of that time is spent removing, storing, and reinserting the heatsinks array of screws. I recommend ESD cautionary measures when handling the nekkid card, but it's your's to play with :D And do not remove the white gap fillers for the memory chips. I don't know where to get replacements if they are lost.

Couple things to add to this.

1 if your cards not EVGA or XFX doing this voids your warranty.

2 If possible use a non conductive compount because even the slightest but over the edge of the die and there could be trouble.

Couple things to add to this.

1 if your cards not EVGA or XFX doing this voids your warranty.

2 If possible use a non conductive compount because even the slightest but over the edge of the die and there could be trouble.

I got xfx i just have to register the card !

so would a side exhaust fan, and a rear exhaust fan be better than a side intake and rear exhaust?

not overclocking it would solve your problem for one. Duh..they warn you not to.

If you are crashing in games, perhaps your PSU is not powerful enough? 70 degrees sounds normal to me.

I was about to ask the same thing, what PSU are you running? It does sounds as if the system get loaded and is drawing a large amount of power and then shutting down. I think with an overheating game you'd notice some artifacting first, and then an eventual shut down. Of course, it maybe different with some cards and systems.

Im shocked at how hot this card is when its oced !!!! im getting like 70 degress with load and in games sometimes it freezes and stuff! I know this is normal and stuff BUT im wondering if i just get a http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-high-performance-120mm-fan.html and have it on the side of my case blowing directly into the card. Would this take 5-10 degress off Inquiry

Its hot, but there is nothing to worry about, unless 80-90C bothers you. Mine works flawlessly.

I just got one from local BB. Out of the box it barely fit in my Asus T180 case, but it did. The case is small and there is only a single fan. It runs ca. 90C under load. I set a warning in nvMonitor at 100C, just in case, but up to a 100C it should not have any issues and there should be no danger of damage. BTW in my system it runs on 400W PSU without a hitch.

Cards crashing are not just caused by heat. Power is one issue to check out, as mentioned, but also make sure your overclock is stable where you're at. Check each component that you overclock individually.

Cards crashing are not just caused by heat. Power is one issue to check out, as mentioned, but also make sure your overclock is stable where you're at. Check each component that you overclock individually.

I have a stable power 500w xclio i thought it would be good enought =(

Im shocked at how hot this card is when its oced !!!! im getting like 70 degress with load and in games sometimes it freezes and stuff! I know this is normal and stuff BUT im wondering if i just get a http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-high-performance-120mm-fan.html and have it on the side of my case blowing directly into the card. Would this take 5-10 degress off Inquiry

Are you sure you are only getting 70 degrees at LOAD on an OC'ed card? You don't understand how amazingly cool that is.

I don't think you're stressing it enough. Play Crysis for a while at highest settings and then check your temperature. That'll show you your true load temp.

I find that less graphically intensive games (Source games) only get my 8800GT up to 70. But Crysis broke that barrier in which I was getting 80+.

Are you sure you are only getting 70 degrees at LOAD on an OC'ed card? You don't understand how amazingly cool that is.

I don't think you're stressing it enough. Play Crysis for a while at highest settings and then check your temperature. That'll show you your true load temp.

I find that less graphically intensive games (Source games) only get my 8800GT up to 70. But Crysis broke that barrier in which I was getting 80+.

I found out my problem, it was my AMD 6000 drivers. There were out of date and making my cpu go Crazzzy ! Yeah the most ive seen my temps go up was like 65 never 70 =) My Oc is 710/1775/1045 i love my case =) centrum 532 two 120mm fans one for exhaust and instake then one 80mm on the side as exhuast and another in front of the hard drive.

Back