8800GT Fan clicking noise

KillRoy X

Gawd
So just purchased an EVGA 8800GT to accompany my other EVA 8800GT for SLI.

Turned on computer everything running fine. Fire up Crysis (or any other game) the new GT's fan starts to make a clicking sound. I can't find the source and it's baffling me.

Right now as I'm writing this, there is no clicking. Play a game and it's really bad. I'm assuming it's when the fan speeds up. But what is causing this?

I have an EVGA 8800GT as well and it makes the same noise. It comes and goes, not sure why. I have had it since November and it is still running fine. Has a lifetime warranty so I figure if it runs great if not they replace it.

I had an evga 8800gt that just came back from RMA. It too, had the clicking. I used RivaTuner to speed up the fan to about 50-60% duty cycle, and the clicking went away, even after lowering the fanspeed. However, the clicking did manage to come back after every restart/hibernate... so it has an Accelero S1 on it right now. :)

Bad bearing? obstruction? 'cheap and nasty' quailty? I'd say if it annoys you, return it.

Yup, was the fan, not sure what that's about. It seems when the card heats up (expands?) the fan starts to hit something...the hotter it is, the louder the clicking.

I'm a little annoyed with EVGA. When I called, they would RMA, but wouldn't pay for shipping.

So I called newegg (where I bought) and they will pay for shipping both ways.

So yeah definately RMA ing the hunk o junk back.

Update, so the original card that was clicking I returned to newegg and got a new one no charge. Works well. Now 4 months later, the other 8800GT is doing the same thing. This time, the clicking starts on boot up and clicks for about 5 minutes until I'm guessing the card heats up and expands or something. This is getting really annoying. Now, I'm hearing it's hard to get this version RMA'd. I think EVGA will RMA a 9800GT but I have 8800GT's sli. What a pain in the arse!

Back