• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

8800gt cooling

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
I want to OC my card but the temps get high when I play with the clocks.
I only have one exhaust fan and no inlet so I leave the side of the case off now to keep it from boiling inside.
I set the clocks from stock to 700-1750-2000 and it got hot quick.I started to hit 80c so I set it back to default.Water cooling isn't an option for since I don't have the room.
I have heard some of you talk about accelero s1.Is that the only option for cooling the card and how much performance will be gained from stock to 700-1750-2000?
I was gonna run cod4 and check but it got really hot a little to quick.PLease help out
 
hot is relative. is 80 C hot for a CPU? YES. is it hot for an 8800GT? maybe. it's better to reseat the stock cooler with a good TIM and use RivaTuner to adjust the fan speeds than drop 25-30 bux on a card that's basically reached EOL. overclocking GFX cards doesnt normally net the performance difference of the price for a new cooler. of course there are other reasons to buy a new cooler, but the 8800GT has adequate stock cooling, but the drivers messed up the fan throttling and the goop most MFGs use is really bad.
 
A quick temp drop would be from replacing the stock TIM with decent grease such as TC-0098, MX-2, TX-2, AS5, etc. Clean the core and heatsink surface thoroughly with denatured or isopropyl alcohol and keep the memory and voltage regulator pads in place because those are difficult to locate in the correct thickness. I would suggest using RivaTuner to affix fan speed to at least 50%. It is not too loud at this speed and should drop temps noticeably from the stock 29% speed. Those OC speeds are quite doable with the stock cooler. If you are looking to overclock further on the core and possibly do some volt modding, the S1 with one or two large quiet fans is your best bet.
 
The temperature drop with the S1 will be substantial.
My load temps with 760/1890 core never exceed 50C load and are around the mid 40's most of the time while gaming.
It has a silent 120mm fan mounted on it.

To get 760 core I have modded my BIOS to 1.1V (from 1.05V) so the temps are even better considering the voltage.
Thats 9.75% more power.
 
If you turn the fan up on the stock cooler it will work pretty well--- only it'll get pretty loud.

Accelero S1 is very cheap and will GREATLY improve GPU cooling. With Accelero S1 installed I wouldn't worry about doing volt mod with firmware update. I wouldn't volt mod with stock cooler however.

Likely with Accelero S1 and volt mod you'll get to 760Mhz pretty easily at least and GPU will still be cooler than when the stock cooler was on it.

You might have to decide if you want to spend $28 or whatever to get a new cooler. With the cost of cards dropping so fast $28 for relatively little gain on an 'old' GPU? Might be better off saving the money to help pay for a new video card a little sooner than you would have without.
 
Accelero S1 is bar-none the best cooling solution for the 8800GT. I have it on my GT with a 120mm fan running at around 1000 RPM and my GT is overclocked to 729/1836/993. Load temperature in Crysis doesn't go above 49 degrees Celcius. The potential is there for even more overclocking but I'm voltage limited.
 
I don't plan on getting a new card any time soon I just got the card 3 weeks ago.I get 90fps in COD4 so I don't need to go up any higher right now
 
Back
Top