• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800GT causing reboot? Need help.

Certain

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
141
I'm having a problem here and I feel helpless because I don't even really know where to begin. To help understand my situation more, I'll give a little background. I had an MSI mobo and got the E8400. That didn't work out because of the MSI mobo was not playing well with the processor. So I bought a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. I put all my existing hardware into that mobo including the 8800GT. Started the PC up and everything is fine except when I try and run 3dmark or a game. I can run movies just fine. But when its 3dmark or a game, the system will just reboot. No BSOD. No error message. Nothing. Just a reboot and thats it.

I should note that I did not have these problems on the MSI board. I just had CPU issues. Now its reversed with the Gigabyte. I'm not having CPU problems, just video card problems. I ran a torture test on the CPU for over 9 hours and there were no errors and the system did not reboot. Only when I load a game or 3dmark. And the game doesnt have to even do anything intensive. I loaded up UT3 and while at the menu, it rebooted on me.

I have the latest drivers. But I also tried removing them with Drivercleaner and then reinstalling them to see if that would help, but it didn't. It still reboots on me. Anyone have any suggestions?
 
In the Windows XP age, a reboot is the equivalent of the BSOD. But now Windows is nice enough to hit the reset button for you. Maybe it's faulty ram?
 
the only thing that i can think of that would cause that is a weak psu. What is your psu? I have the same p35 board and a 8800gt and havent had any rebooting issues you are describing. Check your bios settings and set pci express frequency to 100 and see if that helps.
 
I don't think its the ram. The ram was fine before putting it in this system. And because I thought my memory was bad when my MSI mobo wouldnt play nice with the E8400, I ran numerous tests on the memory....which I later found out, wasnt the problem. So unless it all of a sudden failed between the time I removed it from the old mobo and put it in this one, I doubt its that. If it comes down to it, I will replace the ram and see if that helps, but I'm not convinced that is the problem at this time.

the only thing that i can think of that would cause that is a weak psu. What is your psu? I have the same p35 board and a 8800gt and havent had any rebooting issues you are describing. Check your bios settings and set pci express frequency to 100 and see if that helps.
My PCI frequencies is currently set to 100. I thought about that and I set it to 100 myself instead of leaving it to auto even though the manual states that auto=100. But it still didn't work. I'm thinking it could be a PSU issue, maybe this mobo requires more power than the MSI. I guess that will have to be what I check next.
 
Not sure about the sudden reboot but I had tons of problems with a similar config. Same motherboard, some g.skill ram (4gigs ddr2 1000mhz) , and an evga 8800gt. I ran every torture test I could find for my cpu, ram...everything. But at the most random times, like surfing the internet, i would get a bsod.

I searched the internet and found one thread regarding bsods and the 8800gt. Basically, it turns out that i couldnt run my ram in dual channel mode with the 8800gt. So in single channel mode, my computer would run completely stable but when i switched to dual, i would start getting bsods.

I switched to a cheaper Ati x1950pro since I don't even really play pc games. Now I can run my memory in dual channel and everything is completely stable.
 
Not sure about the sudden reboot but I had tons of problems with a similar config. Same motherboard, some g.skill ram (4gigs ddr2 1000mhz) , and an evga 8800gt. I ran every torture test I could find for my cpu, ram...everything. But at the most random times, like surfing the internet, i would get a bsod.

I searched the internet and found one thread regarding bsods and the 8800gt. Basically, it turns out that i couldnt run my ram in dual channel mode with the 8800gt. So in single channel mode, my computer would run completely stable but when i switched to dual, i would start getting bsods.

I switched to a cheaper Ati x1950pro since I don't even really play pc games. Now I can run my memory in dual channel and everything is completely stable.
I doubt thats my problem. Shortly before your post I removed one of my 2gb sticks of ram. Same problems would occur. At this point, I wish I would be get a BSOD. At least that way I could enter an error message into Google and see if anyone else had that similar problem. As of right now, all I get is a reboot with no messages or anything of the sort. I checked the event viewer hoping maybe I might see something in there that might clue me in to this, but still nothing. I guess at this point my only option is to get a bigger PSU and see if that helps. The fact that I can torture test my cpu overnight but can't run a video benchmark for more than a minute is telling me maybe my PSU is too small or my video card is bad. I hope its just the PSU.
 
Back
Top