8800GT and TV Output

The Mangler

Weaksauce
Im trying to get My hauppage to display on my TV, thru my video card. Anyone have a guess how to get my regular computer screen to output on the S-video output to an Older 30 inch tube TV?

I am using Windows 7, with an 8800GT video card that has 2 hvideo sockets and an S-video plug. When I plug it into the TV, I get nothing.

I tried messing around with the display settings to no avail. Have found a ton of similar posts on the web, mostly answered by non informative opinions.

Some say 480x600 display resolutions with various other options turned on.

Any help appreciated

Install the latest NVidia driver for Win7.
You will then be able to use the NVidia control panel to configure the TV out.
I will try and help more if you can confirm the above works.

wow that was fast. I did install the latest driver from EVGA's website. --> 9-5_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu

I am running 64bit win7.

i think you need the breakout pigtail that comes with that card. are you using it? i dont remember if that card has direct svid hookup or you need the adapter.

also, if youre using a svid-to-rca adapter you will need to force tv detection in the nvidia control panel

Get the latest driver (185.85) from NVidia.
If this gives any problems, use the Vista64 182.50 driver.

When you say you get nothing, can you explain what you did.
Be precise.

I just tried Win7 64's TV out with a 6800GT and it works fine.
To get the options to appear in the control panel, the TV must be connected before opening it.
If the TV is not connected, the options are completely missing.

I have put together a new computer to replace a few things in my entertainment system.

It has an Evga 8800gt 512 MB video card, and uses Windows 7 - 64 bit. Ive tried several drivers from here, and the download from Win7, but keep having the same problem.

I get nothing on the TV screen until l perform the next step. I have the TV hooked up to a Yamaha receiver, the video card connected to a monitor using the dvi/vga connection and also the S-video out to the receiver.

I don't get detection until I connect my Tivo S-video output to the 8800gt, run the nvidia tool, close the tool, and switch the cable from Tivo to the reciever and wala.

It works fine this way until I reboot, go into sleep mode, or change video settings. Then i have to repeat the above step.

I want to get rid of the extra monitor and the Tivo unit, but cant until this is fixed.

Why isn't force TV working, or whats the problem?

Computer->Evga 8800gt->S-video to RCA video cable->Yamaha receiver
|
|->VGA to monitor

Somewhere along the cable line i need to convert this to RCA video because that's what the TV uses. I have 6 other items connected to the TV that also use the monitor with no issues. I didn't try connecting directly to the TV because I cant use it that way.

I read in other places that these cards don't force TV output right in Windows 7. From the info above, its able to detect the S-video Tivo device, but not the connection to the Receiver. What signal does it use to tell if a device is connected? Why isnt force video working?

Ill try some other things like a direct connection and maybe another video card. I'm not happy about this not working as it is advertised to be able to perform this task.

If you intend on using RCA, try it as there seems to be a detection problem when using SVideo.
It may work.

Ah, I have an adapter that plugs in the SVideo socket and gives me composite on RCA.

Most if not all recent Nvidia cards that I've bought have included a breakout cable that plugs into the DIN connector on the video card and provides composite (RCA), S-Video and YPbPr connectors. As far as I know they're universal at least to Nvidia and should be easy to come by.

Dustin

bumping this up because I'm having a similar problem

running windows 7 64bit, using the included adapter dongle (card to s-vid + component) then plugging in an s-video cable that feeds into a composite converter to my TV (which has no s-video)

my desktop will flash several times on the television then nothing.

My old TV is listed as "hd tv" and the drivers only offer "composite" as the output type.

anyone seen a fix for this?

edit: well strangely I ran across a blurb that said when using these types of adapters and you are stuck with "composite" only as the output instead of s-video as an option, you should simply plug your composite cable from your tv into the BLUE component female connector on the dongle...

and boom it works 100% full color no issues.

Last edited:
Back