8800 Vista Drivers?

ahamade

n00b
Has anyone been able to get their 8800 working under vista? I cant seem to find a driver that will work.

Does anyone know what dx10 is really supposed to do for vista? Does it make it look better or just perform better?

You can install the latest WinXP drivers to get basic functionality. It's a ghetto fix (and won't work with games/performance tool) but it'll at least allow you to use the 8800 as more than a "VGA adapter." You have to install 'em from the device manager (tell it what drivers you want to install), but they will partially work. I tried tweaking older driver INF's and nothing works any better than this for the moment.
"Real" drivers should be out in the next 2 weeks, but after seeing the performance Vista was giving me, I went back to XP anyway. Reports are still giving internal test people huge performance hits in Vista until they start making better drivers.
According to a post on the Nvidia board, the RC2 doesn't work very well with their RTM drivers that they're supposedly about to release, though.

Well Vista has drivers for G80 in it already. You won;t get the full performance, like it should be with real drivers. But G80 will work just fine under vista, and the drivers will be released by friday i think.

I couldnt find G80 drivers in Vista RC2...

And the other suggestion by Domingo to use the Xp drivers from the device manager: I couldnt manage to get them to load in however i tried - any tips?

Guess I'll have to wait :)

What you want to do is take the executable XP drivers (97.02's only) and dump 'em in a directory using Winzip or an archiving program. Don't actually install 'em.
Now go into your device manager and tell it that you will "choose which driver to install." Then just browse the directory that you dumped those files into and look for the INF file there. It should find the driver and the card.
Vista final might have some 8x series drivers, but the RC's definitely do NOT.

KENNYB said:
That's because they haven't been released yet :D

Funny I am downloading it right now from Microsoft Connect........ Sweet deal to get a free copy for beta'ng Vista
:D

R1ckCa1n said:
Funny I am downloading it right now from Microsoft Connect........ Sweet deal to get a free copy for beta'ng Vista
Free copy of... Vista final? Just the drivers? What?

nothing yet. vista has been available from msdn for a while now but i dont think OEM went live until today? i would expect drivers to be out shortly.. especially since 8800 boxes advertise as being built for vista

Microsoft launched VISTA business and office 2007 today. Where the hell are the drivers, for 8800. :mad:

annaconda said:
Microsoft launched VISTA business and office 2007 today. Where the hell are the drivers, for 8800. :mad:
How many businesses are running 8800s?

Try as I might, I couldn't get my Excel sheets to render in 3D! ;)

Funny thing about this "driver story" is I have seen machines run vista with a single 8800 GTX. Anyone that was at the Nvidia reality tour can confirm this. So they are out there. I am not an expert on drivers buy someone with the right knowledge could possible talk one of the luck SOB's that won one of the slick rigs they gave away out of a driver. I want the drivers myself......

Hurin said:
How many businesses are running 8800s?

Try as I might, I couldn't get my Excel sheets to render in 3D! ;)

3d design studios, medical imaging shops, game design studios, architectual design firms, video production companies... the list is extensive... :D I guess it's not all about Word and Excel and gaming. :eek:

Pulaski said:
3d design studios, medical imaging shops, game design studios, architectual design firms, video production companies... the list is extensive... :D I guess it's not all about Word and Excel and gaming. :eek:

and me too, just because I feel like it. :D

killowatt said:
nothing yet. vista has been available from msdn for a while now but i dont think OEM went live until today? i would expect drivers to be out shortly.. especially since 8800 boxes advertise as being built for vista
My 8800 says built for windows xp but vista ready...

Morphes said:
Does anyone know what dx10 is really supposed to do for vista? Does it make it look better or just perform better?

DX10 doesn't do anything for Vista, it's for games. It's just that DX10 won't be released for XP. so it's a Vista only thing (for the forseeable future anyway), which means that in order to take advantage of DX10 Games, you'll have to have Vista and a DX10 capable graphics card.

R1ckCa1n said:

Uhh... Kenny was talking about the G80 DRIVERS for Vista, not Vista itself.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
My 8800 says built for windows xp but vista ready...

Built yes, programmed fully no.

annaconda said:
NVIDIA Sucks big time. :mad:

Why? People seem to forget that their driver workload probably quadrupled. New architecture, new OS, new APIs. Don't forget they have to rewrite drivers for all the older cards in Vista too.

Pulaski said:
First, I don't think there's a medical imaging company or an architectural firm that has its IT guy standing there right now clutching 8800s and Vista DVDs with a solitary tear running down his cheek.

No responsible, professional IT person is running out right now to buy 8800GTXes for business use only three weeks after its release. . . and also jumping right on Vista on its business release day for a production environment.

I might do it in a test environment at my office. . . but there is no compelling need for any of the above mentioned businesses to be on Vista and/or 8800es today. . . right now.

And of course, any responsible IT person would check to make sure there are Vista drivers for the cards before upgrading.

Hurin said:
First, I don't think there's a medical imaging company or an architectural firm that has its IT guy standing there right now clutching 8800s and Vista DVDs with a solitary tear running down his cheek.

No responsible, professional IT person is running out right now to buy 8800GTXes for business use only three weeks after its release. . . and also jumping right on Vista on its business release day for a production environment.

I might do it in a test environment at my office. . . but there is no compelling need for any of the above mentioned businesses to be on Vista and/or 8800es today. . . right now.

And of course, any responsible IT person would check to make sure there are Vista drivers for the cards before upgrading.

I have been, how do you say, pwned... :D

My comments merely pointed out that there are a myriad of possible uses for the card for a number of businesses and that some of them with responsible, professional IT person are bound to be testing 8800GTXes to see what effects the cards will have on the bottom line. ;)

It's all good. :cool:

Pulaski said:
nah, I work in a television studio with video production, and in this business you NEVER jump on anything when it is first released. We just upgraded our editors to XP 6 months ago, and finally just got the existing bugs figured out. You don't move to cutting edge new shit, you stick to shit that works. You also don't use '8800GTXs' in your machines for doing the kind of work at the places you describe. You use rendering farms, or a high end quadro's in a single machine. Check out what Sun Microsystems offers in their workstations or actually visit these places if you need help deciphering the real world from consumer jizzing fantasy land.

w1retap said:
nah, I work in a television studio with video production, and in this business you NEVER jump on anything when it is first released. We just upgraded our editors to XP 6 months ago, and finally just got the existing bugs figured out. You don't move to cutting edge new shit, you stick to shit that works. You also don't use '8800GTXs' in your machines for doing the kind of work at the places you describe. You use rendering farms, or a high end quadro's in a single machine. Check out what Sun Microsystems offers in their workstations or actually visit these places if you need help deciphering the real world from consumer jizzing fantasy land.
SMACK!

no offense though, I didn't really write it in a mean way. I just use a lot of sarcastic tone that nobody hears on the internet. lol. :D

why oh why did i not check this forum first..... bought an 8800GTS tonight installed it in my Vista box just to realize later that despite Nvidia's claim that the 8800 is "ready today for Windows Vista" its actually not ready today. Not even with Beta drivers. Oh well serves me right for spending almost $500 for a windows vista ready card and actually expecting it to work. :(

Back