8800 ultra cooling mod

e-geek

Gawd
With the stock cooler on my 8800ultra i regularly see the temps at 84c+ when playing a gpu intensive game, so i decided to change coolers. This may be attributed to me performing the oven trick due to massive artifacting.

Thermaltake duorb vga cooler + 8800 ultra = fail.

The idle temps were good, around 46cm but when playing crysis the temps would just keep rising and rising up to 100c+.

I thought it must have been mounted incorrectly so i did it again, the copper plate of the duorb doesnt even cover alot of the gpu.(looks good though)

So this lead me to my homebrew cooling mod.

1) I took the plastic cover off my ultra, non ref design, and cut out a hole for an 80mm fan, also drilled holes for the screws.

2) I then mounted an 80mm coolermaster cpu fan, very high performance, also modded it with a fan control. Screwed up into the fan from the inside. Also removed the stock fan.

Now onto testing:

Stock cooler:

idle = 51c
load = 84c+ (looping cryostasis tech demo)

Modded cooler:

idle = 46 - 48c
load = 67c

So yeah it made quite a difference, might be adding another fan over the stock fans hole and see if that helps.

Impressive that even a small 80mm fan makes the cooler perform so much better.

Yea cool stuff, your 8800 Ultra deserves a metal, he has overheated, died, literally cooked, then resurrected, then modded, then overheated again, now catches a break ala 80mm fan mod.

He deserves a service metal :)

i did a mod similar to that, i removed the plastic cover and then i added a generic 80mm fan to the heatsink in it and left the plastic off of it, kept my temps under 65C under synthetic tests, so i was happy. i recently took that fan off and disabled the onboard fan, i added a 60mm right next to it on the side of the case and now it runs around 75-80 under full load but its near completely silent now

Yeah when i start up something like cysis or stalker it makes funny noises.. :eek: but no artifacts even after long periods of gaming, although ati tool fails within like 3s lol.

Last edited:
Great mod ;)

How much gap was there between ram chips and heat sink contact area compared to gap between gpu and sink? I ask because the ram sink tape was so thick on my g80 8800gts I think I'd have trouble refitting it if I wanted to - Don't think thermal grease has gap-filling properties enough to cover it...

I left the ram sink tape on, it was stuck to the bottom of the hsf, otherwise there would have been a gap.

Back