8800 GTX vs 8800 GTS

l3ender

Supreme [H]ardness
I've read a lot about the GTX, but I don't really know the difference between the 2 different versions, minus a view obvious technicalities. If someone could point me in the right direction (if a thread already exists on it...sorry...please point me there) or inform me, that'd be great.

TIA.

Pretty much only a bit more performance on the GTX... You can OC the GTS to the same speed as a stock GTX easily.

For resolutions above 1280x1024 I'd go with the GTX.

Pretty much only a bit more performance on the GTX... You can OC the GTS to the same speed as a stock GTX easily.

For resolutions above 1280x1024 I'd go with the GTX.

Yeah but then if you get the GTX you oc it to an even higher clocks. I regretted not getting the GTX even when im only using it on 1280*1024.

My GTS is only capable of 16*AA on certain game for example HL:Ep1 and when you seen how beautiful it is you are never going to get back to lower AA. In BF2 im only able to get smooth fps with 8*AA. For me it is not a waste of money to get a GTX even for someone who is resolution limited at 1280*1024.

GTS = lower power consumption for system if overclocking and a shorter card to boot :)

It does also clock at GTX speeds easily......and beyond if your brave ;)

All in all.......best bang for buck!! :D :D

If you run anything over 1920x1200 get the GTX, otherwise the GTS will be fine.

I've read a lot about the GTX, but I don't really know the difference between the 2 different versions, minus a view obvious technicalities. If someone could point me in the right direction (if a thread already exists on it...sorry...please point me there) or inform me, that'd be great.

TIA.

A GTX is much faster than a GTS, especially at high resolutions.
True that you can OC the GTS to match the GTX in both GPU clock and memory frequency, but G80's architecture isn't just clock and memory frequencies. Stream Processors are the key elements here and the GTS only has 96 of them, while the GTX has 128.
Just check benchmarks in [H] or Tech-Report, to get an idea of what exactly the difference is. It's not just a couple of FPS :)
If you have the cash for a GTX, don't even think twice. Get it and you won't regret it.

I thought about getting a GTS because it was so much cheaper than the GTX but it wasn't going to give me the gaming experience that I wanted at 1920x1200. I picked up a GTX and don't regret it. I'm enjoying Rainbow Six: Vegas at 1920x1200 max settings. No AA though but it's much better than running 1280x1024. The rest of my games are played at max res max settings and at least 2X AA, in most cases 8XAA+.

Hmm, but what will actually be faster? 2 8800gts' in SLI or 1 8800gtx?

I'm inclined to believe the 2 8800gts', since they don't seem to score THAT far below the 8800gtx's in benchmarks.

Back