8800 GTX ships without Vista driver

I say give them the time to get these drivers right. The 9x.xx line of drivers is in a sad state of affairs, and not something I'd deem acceptable. Broken TV output, overlay support that BSODs in Media Player, buggy OpenGL ICD and a myriad of bugs in games... the list goes on.

The cherry on the top, though, has got to be the new control panel. I really hope they get rid of that slow, buggy thing for the new Vista drivers. It's like some guy in a pressed suit at nVidia went to some friend's house, saw the ATI control panel for 20 seconds and ran back into the office and sent a mass email saying "HEY WE GOTTA DO THIS GUYS!!". Flash news - the ATI control panel is crap, and we don't need you to copy it.

Hurin said:
Actually, I'm pretty hard on NVIDIA and my point was that their XP drivers need work and that should be more urgent to NVIDIA than the relatively few pre-release Vista users who are wandering this forum all butt hurt that NVIDIA doesn't have a driver for them despite there being no compelling reason for there to be one. . . or for these people to be running Vista. :D

I'll say...their XP drivers are definitely more important, and they should get those out first, but oh well. I imagine a lot of people are disappointed that they don't have both XP and Vista drivers already out in preparation for the hard launch.

J-Mag said:
OEM is irrelevant. A Nvidia driver is a Nvidia driver. There are no "OEM Specific" drivers that will only work with EVGA/Dell nvidia cards.

Did I say that OEM's make their own drivers? Uh.. no..

phide said:
In any case, my only opinion here is that those who bought 8800-series cards have made a choice. They deliberately did so without a knowing a firm release date for a Vista-compatible driver release. They made a gamble here, and it hasn't gone their way. Should NVIDIA release a driver when Vista is released to the public? Yes. Are they entitled to do so prior to that release date? No. Should consumers be agitated? Perhaps so, (snip)

I bought it and it was not a gamble, I bought it for XP, not Vista, seeing how Vista is not in General Public Release. :D And, yes I was deliberate in my choice of a card for XP, not Vista, seeing how Vista is not in General Public Release. :D

Those on the bleeding edge among us would do well to relax and realize this discussion is (as kleox64 put it)... pointless. Once Vista is available to everyone and the drivers are still not available, then you can vent, however, Nvidia (as has been said over and over and over in this thread) is under no obligation to deliver before then.

Quite frankly, they don't have a legal obligation to deliver the drivers after Vista launch either. If they feel the drivers are "bad" they may take their time in releasing them. What are you gonna do? Sue them? They'll say to the court: "Your honor, you can't legislate when a private company is going to develop a piece of software. We are aware of our tardiness and we are making every effort to accomodate our legion of fans to whom we apologize profusely, however, no one has died from the lack of Vista drivers. Is it bad of us not to have the drivers on Vista launch day? Yes. Did we promise they will be there on that day? No. All we said is our product is Vista compatible, we did not set any dates on it and even if we did, our manufacturing process slipped up and for that we will be paying in lost revenue and clients."

Pass the peace pipe, let's all chill out. :cool:

stevel114 said:
Bought a BFG 8800 GTX card, assumed I could get to run in Vista. It installs but as a VGA card. I am running the RTM that Technet subscribers can download from Microsoft. Sure is a shame since BFG advertizes it as the Vista ready card on thier site. Nvidia only has XP and Media Center drivers for it fo far. I saw the EVGA 8800 GTX kind shipped with a driver on the cd but have not been able to find it on the web anywhere. Any helped would be appreciated.

Thanks
Not to beat a dead horse but Vista doesn't technically "exist" in the retail market yet, so you shouldn't be too surprised that they don't have a driver ready yet. I'm sure they'll have one very soon.

let nvidia get the job done, once Vista is released drivers will appear, now if nvidia doesnt release drivers then and only then can you bash them. Also as I remember Vista's code was frozen after the G80 release, now updates are appearing for software i.e. nero, nod32, 3dmark etc...

Back