8800 GTX.. BUT: XFX, BFG, Asus, Palit, MSI, Inno3D, Gainward, eVGA... WHICH?!?!

Jasonx82 said:
Dude no matter what there is always something better, right after u get g81 or whatever they call it G90 is gonna be around the corner lol :D

R600 = ATI's next gen VPU
G80 Refresh = G81? Die shrink??, higher clocks??

This is true, the endless 'waiting' game can be played forever! But if I wait a month, get the G80 with eVGA then can do a step upgrade when G81 comes along! :D Or R600 - can you step upgrade accross chipsets?

joshley said:
This is true, the endless 'waiting' game can be played forever! But if I wait a month, get the G80 with eVGA then can do a step upgrade when G81 comes along! :D Or R600 - can you step upgrade accross chipsets?
unfortunately you can only step up with eVGA's product line, which is only nvidia gpus to my knowledge

that's the thing about this, is that there really is always something better around the corner. the step up is not infallible, but it let's you jump on the thing around the next corner at least.

also, you cannot step up a product you stepped up to

Suflex said:

Great article! Only a few issues for me though:

1) It doesn't cover Gainward
2) It doesn't cover Inno3D
3) It recommends eVGA with ASC3 cooling, but says all it could find was eVGA cards with non-ASC3 cooling... WTF?!? What does that mean and how do I check when buying my card?!

EDIT: Aaah, looks like I was googling "ASC3 8800gtx", not "ACS3 8800gtx", with the former resulting in only two results and leaving me somewhat confused!
I can now see that the caed will be called something like "eVGA 8800GTX ACS3 edition", which helps my finding out whether or not it's ACS3!!

joshley said:
Great article! Only a few issues for me though:

1) It doesn't cover Gainward
2) It doesn't cover Inno3D
3) It recommends eVGA with ASC3 cooling, but says all it could find was eVGA cards with non-ASC3 cooling... WTF?!? What does that mean and how do I check when buying my card?!

evga with asc3 cooling not available yet give it a week or two i say ;) the (g80's are still new )

Jasonx82 said:
evga with asc3 cooling not available yet give it a week or two i say ;) the (g80's are still new )

Seriously, not available yet? Bugger. Oh well, more waiting for me! lol

I am also facing the same dilemma as the original poster, in deciding which 8800GTX card to go with for my new rig.

Options open to me are:
Inno3D
Gigabyte
EVGA
ASUS
Leadtek

As far as I can tell, all these cards use the reference board and cooler with the exception of the EVGA. I am considering going with the Inno3D as it is by far the cheapest card available out of the lot.

I know everyone has been plugging the EVGA, however in Australia there is no step up program and the cards only come with a 2yr warranty, making it a less than desirable option seeing as the Asus and Gigabyte cards come with a 3yr warranty.

I guess my main question is, is there anything wrong with the Inno3D 8800GTX, does the card perform worse than that of its Leadtek/ASUS/Gigabyte counterparts, is there a high failure rate with Inno cards?

I dont really care about bundling and value added stuff, personally I would rather get no bundling and pay less for the card overall. Unfortunately there seems to be a distinct lack of reviews specifically regarding the Inno3D 8800gtx, just wondering if anyone has this card and could share their experiences.

My vote is for evga.

The comment about "all of them are made by asus" is absurd.

I had a BFG 6800 Ultra "way back" and their tech support and shipping/rma process is excellent. So honestly I'd have to say go with evga or bfg tech..

Damn dude you and i just bumped a thread that was like 4 months old, I feel like a jackass now...yay for me browsing at 4 a.m.!

Holy thread ressurection batman!

Go with Evga, BFG, or XFX. all three of the companies are great, XFX and Evga have reps in this forum. A BFG warenty is generally considered the best there is.

While your advice is noted, It still doesnt answer my question about Inno3d cards, whether they are decent or not. Has anyone had any experience with the Inno3D 8800gtx? Should I start a new thread about it?

I have always looked at Inno3d as the bastard child of the industry.

the inno 3d card will be fine.

just prepare for taiwanese out-sourced tech support and/or RMA support.

the inno 3d card will be fine.

just prepare for taiwanese out-sourced tech support and/or RMA support.

Thats pretty normal in Australia, once outside the first year warranty, you're almost always bounced off to Taiwan for RMA's and support, whether you're buying Gigabyte, Asus or Leadtek

My vote is for evga.

The comment about "all of them are made by asus" is absurd.

There are/were two or three main assembly plants(corporations, means there could be many plants but one buisness runs them) used by most companies to manufacturer the PCB's and the electronics once the design has been finalized. Flextronics, Foxconn, and ASUS. Not so absurd.

The rumor is that Nvidia was pissed about some of the G71 PCB flaws and so asked ASUS to do the initial G80 PCB's for better Quality control. Take it for what you will, but you'll likely never get a straight answer from any of them.

Btw, no one seems to mention the fact that OCZ is speed binning their way into the graphics card market.

This may help, may not.

Taken from AnandTech

g80occhartid3.jpg

I am an XFX guy, the Double Lifetime is the best deal going and the XXX Series is one of if not the best for factory overclocked cards each time.

On my third XFX card, no troubles, and all have overclocked to the upper medium end of the scale, I never like to totally max out my vid cards.....so this GTS can do a bit more than 600/1850 but I like it a bit conservative.

Back