• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

8800 GTS Temperature Question

Agras

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
50
Alright, quick question regarding the idle temps on my evga 8800 GTS 640mb.

It's idling around 60-62 C in a room that's 79F.

Frustrating to me as I built an identical rig for my best friend a few weeks ago and his is idling at 52C in a 75F room.

Are my temps out of wack, or am I just overreacting? I realize that room temperature has a lot to do with it, but I don't think it'd make this huge of a difference.
 
I just got a BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC2 that's factory overclocked.

In a comfortable room it's idle is usually around 75C, and that's in a p180 with 3 out fans and 1 intake fan.

Per other people's advice, I installed Rivaturner and manually cranked the fanspeed up to 96% all the time (it was normally spinning at around 1500rpm) which makes my idle temps around 65C.

Granted, my interior cabling isn't the cleanest, but there is a decent air flow, so I dunno if my card just ran hot cause it was OC'd or the fan simply wouldn't crank up on it's own.

I'd say that if you're room is almost 80F and your card still manages to idle at around 62C, that's not too bad, at least relative to me.
 
Get a single slot 'blower' style fan, mount it below the card so it sucks air out of the slots in the shrouding and exhausts it out the back of the case. Should drop your temps a few degrees C.
 
i have the same idle temps and ambient temps as you, Agras.

i don't like it either but i've learned to live with it since it is summertime in SoCal and it has been hot the last week or so. i will be purchasing a aftermarket cooler for it when there are more options than the Thermalright one.

you can always up the fan speed to your liking if you don't like the temps.
 
Back
Top