• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800 GTS or Ultra?

Entram

n00b
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
22
I'm buying a new PC, I'm a gamer. I have to buy this new PC before the 30th. Everything in the PC is picked out except two things. I can't decide if I want an E6600 & 8800 Ultra or a Q6600 and an 8800 GTS, both price out about the same, I'd be getting the Ultra for $580.
 
get the gtx, no need to waste money on the ultra, the gtx is more than enough at this moment in time, if your deciding on the gts and ultra then do as I suggest and go for the one inbetween ;)

gtx pwns
 
the e6600 is fine for games, and can be overcloked to 3ghz easy. I'd go with the e6600 and the Ultra, besides how many games would acctually make use of a quad core?
 
Theres also a deal where you can get an 8800GTX for 450 and a Q6600 for 450, for 900 together.
 
I have an e6400 running at a stable 3.4ghz on the stock fan with rather low voltage (1.32). :D

Also, wait until July 22 for the price drop of the Quad-cores. That's right, a quad-core for around $250. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm buying one, Lord willing.
 
I said I had to have it by the 30th. As for the 250 that's untrue. Retailers will be able to buy them for 266 per 1000. So the actual price will be around 300.
 
I said I had to have it by the 30th. As for the 250 that's untrue. Retailers will be able to buy them for 266 per 1000. So the actual price will be around 300.

Quoted and saved until July 22. If you are getting the Ultra @ GTX prices, how much are you getting the GTS for then?
 
GTS is regular price (around 375), why are you quoting and saving. It's common knowledge. Search 266 on this forum and you'll see. :)
 
I'm buying a new PC, I'm a gamer. I have to buy this new PC before the 30th. Everything in the PC is picked out except two things. I can't decide if I want an E6600 & 8800 Ultra or a Q6600 and an 8800 GTS, both price out about the same, I'd be getting the Ultra for $580.

Get the Q6600 and the GTS. For one, you have Quad-Core, which is more than enough AND future proof for a LONG time. Also, you can always grab another GTS and pop some SLI pr0n whenever the GTS starts to struggle.
 
Why does this build HAVE to be done by the 30th?

Does it HAVE to be done by the 30th?
Would you want to EXTEND the day to the 22nd of July so you can SAVE some MULA?

I would say grab a Q6600 at $266, and plop a GTX in that bad boy.
Best bang for the buck out there.

What games are you planning on playing?
 
Modern FPS & RPG type games. And the 30th because I'm selling my stepmom this PC and she wants it by the 30th. I can't go computerless! :O
 
you will see a tiny impact on your fps from going quad core in any game other then some hard core RTS's.

Go with the 8800 Ultra and E6600. I would even suggest two 8800Ultras or GTX's and a single E6400 or E6300.
 
You know....theres a place called outdoors that is very nice this time of year...and its only 4 weeks...u would save soo much money if you could wait...but if you want my opinion get the GTS and Quad....and like FIDDYOWNS said if u start to get slow framerates just plop another gts for sli...
 
You know....theres a place called outdoors that is very nice this time of year...and its only 4 weeks...

I honestly don't understand that at all.

MrWizard6600 said:
Go with the 8800 Ultra and E6600. I would even suggest two 8800Ultras or GTX's and a single E6400 or E6300.

As of right now, on NewEgg, an E6600 is $222.90.
An E6300 is $164.00.
That is a $58.90 difference.

A second 8800 Ultra would be $669.
By downgrading your processor, using that saved money, it would only be an extra $610.10.

:)

Heck, why not just buy two ultras, a QX6800, 8GB of DDR3, and a PCCnP 1k PSU
Be done for about, forever?

:)
 
I work 3 jobs, and go to two schools one for a nursing degree one for premed. One full time one part time. The last thing I wanna do when I get home at like 10:30 PM is go out and hang with the alcoholics. :p
 
I work 3 jobs, and go to two schools one for a nursing degree one for premed. One full time one part time. The last thing I wanna do when I get home at like 10:30 PM is go out and hang with the alcoholics. :p


don't worry, the construction folks wont miss ya. we'll need you sharp the next day when you have to sew our digits back on after some horrible bladed accident.

:D
 
If you're a gamer, go with the better video card over the better CPU, plain and simple. Not only that, but the E6600 will probably serve your purposes for longer than the 8800GTS (especially with overclocking) and it will be cheaper to upgrade to something in the same price bracket when the time finally comes.
 
Back
Top