8800 GTS differences?

mwin

2[H]4U
I just bought a new 24" widescreen LCD a few days back. The new higher resolutions I'm running has me considering a new video card. I've been out of the loop for a little while, so I'm trying to get cought back up. I found the 8800 GTSes were falling into the price range I had in mind. There's a huge range in their prices though. For a bit over $300, you can get one that has 320mb of memory on the card. For right at about $400, you can get one with 640mb. Is it worth the price difference? I'm thinking that $400 is a bit more than I was looking to drop, but if it's worth the difference I could probably do it, though. Anybody got any insight? Articles, comparisons, reviews you could point me to?

It is worth it if you're running at 1920x1200 resolution, but wait for the next generation GPUs to come out Q4/07-Q1/08. They will probably be a fair bit cheaper.

I just bought a new 24" widescreen LCD a few days back. The new higher resolutions I'm running has me considering a new video card. I've been out of the loop for a little while, so I'm trying to get cought back up. I found the 8800 GTSes were falling into the price range I had in mind. There's a huge range in their prices though. For a bit over $300, you can get one that has 320mb of memory on the card. For right at about $400, you can get one with 640mb. Is it worth the price difference? I'm thinking that $400 is a bit more than I was looking to drop, but if it's worth the difference I could probably do it, though. Anybody got any insight? Articles, comparisons, reviews you could point me to?

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9654864&cmp=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

$319.99 A/R for the 640 here.

You can also get a 512 MB HD 2900 Pro if you're concerned about memory and don't want to break the bank. Doesn't quite come up to 8800 GTS 640 performance, but it's cheaper, and the GTS 320 doesn't seem to be doing very well with new releases at 1920 x 1200.

Who on earth buys overclcoked 8800s.. they are guaranteed to hit min 100mhz on both mem and core for free.

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322839&ps=hot0

Get the EVGA. Warranty and CS is much better than MSI, and if new cards come out w/in 90 days of your purchase, you can step-up to them for the difference in price + shipping. Considering new cards should be out in the next few months, its definitely worth it.

It is worth it if you're running at 1920x1200 resolution, but wait for the next generation GPUs to come out Q4/07-Q1/08. They will probably be a fair bit cheaper.

Are you saying that there will be a GeForce 9 series card that will outperform the 8800GTS and cost less? Or that the 8800 GTSes will be cheaper when the new cards come out?

Who on earth buys overclcoked 8800s.. they are guaranteed to hit min 100mhz on both mem and core for free.

The OC'd ones are the cheapest out there. So the folks who enjoy saving money buy them, to answer you.

cuse you can buy it and know it is overclocked and covered by a warrenty vs doing it yourself, maybe getting a bad card, killing it and being screwed.

not likeley a manufacter can prove if someone even overclocked their card to death unless flashed the bios rofl.

Back