8800 GTS 77C Idle Temp?

Vuronev

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
47
Just got a BFG 8800 GTS 640mb OC2 and installed it in my system, I was just wondering if an temp of 77C is normal? I've checked around and it seems kind of high as most people are stating their idles are around 10C lower.

According to nTune my CPU temp is about 38C and the system temp is around 41C but the CPU idle temp has yet to break below 70C usually hovering between 75-80C.

My p180 case doesn't have the prettiest wiring job inside but it's not overly constricted either. Would more fans do the job or do you think perhaps the card itself might be the problem?

I'm currently running a stock Opteron 175 and 3 harddrives. I have the rear exhaust fan and the other one on the top of the case. My cpu cooler is a Zalman 9500.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
 
If you are sure airflow is sufficient, it can be the card itself. Idle temps should be more like this: (and this is with a very high ambient temp of 26c! Yes it's warm here in Finland ATM :))

idle.JPG
 
with ambient temps at 42 degrees my evga 8800gts 640 no overclock runs at 54 degrees core temp with 85 percent fan duty
 
wait in your statement

According to nTune my CPU temp is about 38C and the system temp is around 41C but the CPU idle temp has yet to break below 70C usually hovering between 75-80C.

do you mean your GPU idle temp has yet to break below 70C usually hovering between 75-80C.

that is pretty high are you overclocking
 
Thanks for the quick replies, the card is a factory overclock with a core running at 580 and mem at 1700.

I've played a few rounds of BF2142 with all the settings up to max and it seems to run stable, the idle temp just never drops below 70C. The rest of my system is stock and seems to run at pretty good temps. Seems to be just the card. My room is comfortable with AC running and all that so I don't think the ambient temp is doing too much.

And what utility are you using to get all those hardware monitor readings?

And how do I force my card to up the fan speed?


Thanks!
 
The program you're looking at in this thread is RivaTuner

You can use it to monitor your temps and force the GPU fan to spin at 100%
 
I recently opened a thread about how to lower the idle temps of G80 cards. Search for the threads that I opened and you should see it.
 
my 320 idles at 65ºC after boot, but when i enter a game and then exit it idles back to just 60ºC :)
 
Heh my 6800 ran at 80C idle, and 95C under load (in an air-conditionned environment)....I had it running at those temps for a full 2 years before selling it to someone. I wouldn't worry about your temps too much, unless you plan on keeping the card for 3-5 years.
 
Alright, I installed Rivatuner and tryed manually bumping the fan speed to 75%, this kept the idle temp at 70C versus the normal 77C. Bumping up the fan speed to 95% brought the idle temp to 64C.

Given my normal temps for the other components, are my GPU temps an issue for concern? Should I consider sending the card back or simply buy an intake fan and maybe that antec slot cooler?

Thanks!
 
Without all the crap I put around my GTX, it would be running around the same temps you're getting. Don't worry about it too much. As for the Antec cooler, that'd be up to you. It helped my temps by around 6-7 celsius
 
i mean my 8800gts is stock speeds so your factory OC might have something to do with the temps. i use rivatuner and leave my fan a 85% mostly all the times and it idles around 57 playing CS:s it prob goes to 66-68
 
My GTS hovers around 55 C idle, and the highest I've seen it go is 68 C at load (that was after 2 hours of heavy gaming) - I also use RivaTuner to set the fan to 100%. One thing that you should note, is that when you update your drivers, make sure you set the fan back to 100% after your reboot, because changing the drivers will set it back to the 59% max default. I have mine set to automatically go up to 100% upon reboot, but changing drivers gets rid of that setting.
 
Back
Top