8800 512 for HDTV problem

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Using my old 8800 for the new home PC but it has a weird problem with making the desktop and other applications bigger than the actual TV. I've used the nvidia software to make the desktop fit, but it kinda plays havoc with other stuff like movies and games. The current resolution is like 1856 x 1004 or something goofy.

It is connected by dvi to hdmi using drivers 186.91 on a vista 64bit system connected to a Samsung 52"dlp.

Any ideas on how to fix the overscan or whatever it is?

I have the same problem on my htpc with the ion chipset. When selecting the correct resolution it makes the desktop just a little too big and I have to back it off to some weird res to make it fit. Everything works fine when I do that though.

not sure if this applies to the NV drivers, but in my htpc, I use a 4770 and all ATI cards do the opposite making everything smaller, simply turning down the under/over scan options in CCC fixes that for me.

Try your HDTV's Picture menu, there may be a setting that controls aspect ratio or how the video signal is displayed on the screen.

My LG 47LH90 has a "Just Scan" option in the Aspect Ratio field under the Picture Menu. Selecting this option displays 1920 x 1080 correctly without any tweaking to Radeon or GeForce settings.

Samsung HDTVs may have something similar.

Back