8700k cooler if not overclocking... OR 9900k cooler?

vidoprof

Limp Gawd
I am trying to figure out the real cost for these 2 CPUs with proper coolers. I don't really plan to OC at all, but if it's super simple and wont hurt longevity I will within reason..

So what coolers would each of those CPUs need to maintain decent temps?

Can I get by with an EVO 212 for the 8700k?

Does the 9900k NEED water cooling?

Thanks

The 9900k does not need water cooling. In the end water cooling is not exceptionally better than a decent air cooler.

A hyper212 will be fine for a 8700k stock.

If you’d like to overclock spend a few more dollars on a better air cooler.

The 9900k does not need water cooling. In the end water cooling is not exceptionally better than a decent air cooler.

A hyper212 will be fine for a 8700k stock.

If you’d like to overclock spend a few more dollars on a better air cooler.

So for a small overclock what would I look for?

Thanks

Scythe Mugen 5 (rev B) and Fuma are also excellent value coolers and should be good for a nice OC on a 8700K.

I've got a Cryorig H5 Ultimate with an additional thin 140mm fan in a push-pull set up on my i7-8700K. While my idle temps are nothing to write home about (30C - 33C), my CPU does not exceed 65C under Prime95 (CPU at stock). So, you don't need to spend too much on an air cooler for the i7-8700K at stock.

I'm using the Cryorig H7 Plus, it's been fine for stock or mild OC on the 8700K.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF7KA8600

Getting around 60C in stress testing or 50C in game. However, I started overclocking, and it's reached the limits. Currently on a 4.6GHz OC, and it's been stable, but temps are getting close to 70 - 80C in game which is about the max I'm comfortable with.

Decided to get an AIO. Cryorig has one that has been getting really good reviews, the A80, and I'm hoping that can get me to 5GHz. I did try a 5GHz boost clock w/ the H7, and it was working for a few minutes but temps quickly reached 100C so I shut it off.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF3GA3246

Back