865G finicky about memory?

gamz247

Gawd
Over the past month, I've set up two systems with Intel 865G based motherboards. The first was an ASUS P4G800-V, the second was a Shuttle SB61G2 SFF PC.

When I was setting up the machine with the ASUS board, Windows XP setup would crash halfway thru, and, after setup finally worked, would randomly reboot during normal use. At the time, I was using some old Kingston HyperX PC2700 with a P4 2.8B. The HyperX is set to run at CAS2 2-2-5 at 166MHz. This memory has worked, and worked well, when used on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. Well, after deciding that the memory may be the problem, a half-gig of Hynix PC3200 was purchased. This stuff runs at CAS2.5 3-3-7 at 166Mhz... and the machine hasn't randomly reset since!

Similar thing with the Shuttle. SPD puts my Mushkin "2-2-2 Special" memory at CAS2.5 2-2-6, and I had trouble installing and running Win2K. I change the timings to 3-3-7 and bam, things are running smoothly.

Sure, the 865G isn't the best Intel-based motherboard, but damn I didn't think it could really be that bitchy.

Is this the norm for Intel-based motherboards? My past two home-built rigs have been AMD, and I haven't had any troubles like this with them.

I'm gonna be building another Intel rig for a friend in the next couple months. I'll probably recommend an 875P for him, cuz he wants top-of-the-line. Should I prepare for such troubles with that, or is it a little more easy-going?

low latency ram usually needs more volts than stock, use memtestx86+ to check for mem errors and find a stable voltage.

Originally posted by Merlin45
low latency ram usually needs more volts than stock, use memtestx86+ to check for mem errors and find a stable voltage.

Y'know, I don't even remember seeing anything about voltages in the P4G800-V BIOS. It's a little late to go switching the memory around in that system though, since it's not mine... and there'd be a restocking fee for returning the DIMMs, if I could get it to work. Funny though, memtest86+ never did work on that motherboard, no matter what DIMMs were in the slots.

I guess I could up the DDR voltage of the Shuttle and see if that has any effect.

Back