• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8600gts with 2600xt for Physics?

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
5,737
I have a second computer that is using a 8600gts which has some troubles running Left 4 Dead.

Could I use a 2600XT as a physics card to help it out? I put it in last night and enabled Phyx accelerator but haven't tested if it is actually working.

Also will I need to install ATI drivers?

I looked online and in the FAQ and couldn't find this information.
 
thats what I was thinking, I was just expecting the computer to crash when I put it in and enabled the physx.
 
As said, only nVidia GPUs GF8+ support PhysX. Also, unless you're running Windows 7 you can't use an nVidia and ATi card simultaneously.
 
Windows XP and Windows 7 allow both nVidia and ATi cards to be run at the same time. Windows Vista will not allow it, no matter what you do.

Only nVidia cards will run PhysX; they must be series 8 or later with 256MB or more of VRAM.

You would need to install ATi drivers for the 2600xt since it is an ATi card, not an nVidia card.
 
no point installing the ATI drivers since the 2600xt doesn't support physics.

Thanks for the help.
 
Okay so let me get this straight...I can run my GTX 260 Core 216 (or the 295 I'm stepping-up to) and my 8800GTS 320mb and use the 8800GTS for physx?

Do I need an SLI board? I've got an Asus Maximus II Formula .. apparently if you have 2 graphics cards, they drop to 8x each.

Okay so not such a great idea ..esp w/ a 295 :) Still, I might try it w/ the GTX 260
 
Okay so let me get this straight...I can run my GTX 260 Core 216 (or the 295 I'm stepping-up to) and my 8800GTS 320mb and use the 8800GTS for physx?

Do I need an SLI board? I've got an Asus Maximus II Formula .. apparently if you have 2 graphics cards, they drop to 8x each.

Okay so not such a great idea ..esp w/ a 295 :) Still, I might try it w/ the GTX 260

I'm running a 295, and just run the physx off of it. It will balance the SLI graphics load with the physx load. Mirror's Edge runs beautifully this way at 1920x1200 with everything at maximum and 8xAA for me. I picked up a 9800GT for a physx card, but it just adds noise and heat to the case, and since everything runs great using just the 295, I took it out.
 
I was able to find a 8600gts to sli with for 20 bucks.

Now I will have 2X9600gt's sli'ed and 2X8600gt's sli'ed; should I split them up and run two 9600gt's with 8600gts physics or leave the 9600's for me and 8600's for the wife.
 
I don't think you can have two SLI pairs in the same system. I'd run two 9600GTs SLIed for graphics, and one 8600gt for physx to start. Then you'll have one spare 8600.
 
No I have 2 computers. One is running 2 9600gt's@1920x1200 and is running 2 8600gt's @1680x1050. I was debating turning it into 2 computers each with a 9600gt and 8600gt for phyx.
 
j3rk ... was there any performance improvement with the 9800GT running physx? Just curious ...I'm sure the 295 can handle it all fine.
 
No I have 2 computers. One is running 2 9600gt's@1920x1200 and is running 2 8600gt's @1680x1050. I was debating turning it into 2 computers each with a 9600gt and 8600gt for phyx.

This is an interesting debate. The 8600GT is such a gimpy graphics card that I really doubt that 8600GT in SLI can beat a 9600GT with 8600GT PhysX. But on the other hand, for running 1920x1200, two 9600GTs in SLI would be far better than a 9600GT with 8600GT PhysX. With those two scenarios in mind, I think you're choosing between nerfing both computers or nerfing one computer, which makes it an easy choice.
 
Just as a point to your original post: Left 4 Dead does not use Physx at all, so having a dedicated physics card in L4D will not get you any extra FPS or cool effects.
 
Just as a point to your original post: Left 4 Dead does not use Physx at all, so having a dedicated physics card in L4D will not get you any extra FPS or cool effects.

dude you saved me a ton of time. I was going to test this out tonight. Thanks I'll keep the wife on her 8600gts sli setup works fine.
 
Okay so let me get this straight...I can run my GTX 260 Core 216 (or the 295 I'm stepping-up to) and my 8800GTS 320mb and use the 8800GTS for physx?

Do I need an SLI board? I've got an Asus Maximus II Formula .. apparently if you have 2 graphics cards, they drop to 8x each.

No, you don't need SLI to run a card for PhysX only.
 
Back
Top