8600gts Standard

Cyrinn

n00b
I have not been able to find a review or thread where OCing one of the standard versions, 675/2000 particularly of the XFX and evga brands, has been tested. And the ones I did find were only voltmods.

Does anyone know of (or tried) to OC the standard 8600gts without a voltmod and wouldn't mind posting results?

Thanks.

funny you should ask!

I got my XFX 8600GTS; the standard version on friday!

I've got it at 752/1130(2.26ghz); it won't go 1/2 a mhz more on either, absolute wall on my card.

I'm in a Shuttle case, so a single slot card was my only option; I used to have a 7800GTX OC, which failed; so I RMA'd it to BFG and they sent me a revised version whose fan runs 100% all the time... so fuck that... sold it; got this.

I'm happy to say my case is no louder now that it was without a graphics card.

It's just about the exact same performance as the 7800GTX OC was and has the added bonus of greater shader support from DX10.

The base XFX card is really just a reference nVidia card in an XFX box, it even has the reference model heatsink picture... which I thought was kinda lame... but whatever, it's inside my case so I can't see it anyway.

Nice, that is better than the factory OC. How are the temps? Before and after OC?
I, too, have a SFF and was thinking of picking up the XFX to replace my half dead x1950pro. It is $160 after MIR at the egg, which I find to be very reasonable especially if it OC's so well.

Yeah, based on the reviews I read, I won't see much of a gain over my x1950pro (other than actually working) in less shader intensive games (in my case Dark Messiah) but in Oblivion and NWN2 I should see quite a difference.

Thanks for the reply :cool:

I've got it at 752/1130(2.26ghz); it won't go 1/2 a mhz more on either, absolute wall on my card.

Nice! That's better than mine did. I hit 1133 on the RAM but could only get to 730 on the Core. As soon as I get some time I'm going to flash the BIOS again to lower the shader speed to see if the core is blocking me or the shaders.

I'm pretty happy with my OC, went from 74C load at stock to 79C load OC'd.

I heard a lot of these hit like 800 core out of the box and I was kinda dissapointed.

I have some AS5 on mine now, at least on the core; the memory uses heat-pads because they're not on the same level as the core.

Well, I just got my card and I was able to get my core up to 750, but I can only get my memory up to 1045 :confused: It stays fairly cool, though, only topping out at 75C at load.

I am using ATItool 0.26 and I see small artifacts past 1045 on the memory. Why would the OC on the mem be so low compared to others?

Core at 701Mhz, and Memory at 2009Mhz.

I'm waiting to see if this is a stable overclock, and if I can test this on 2 more releases, I'll BIOS flash it over.

Standard EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (Out of the box overclock)

Core at 701Mhz, and Memory at 2009Mhz.

I'm waiting to see if this is a stable overclock, and if I can test this on 2 more releases, I'll BIOS flash it over.

Standard EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (Out of the box overclock)

Lol I thought they were talking about the 8600 GTS..? :(

Yeah we are talking about 8600.....

Also, the fan doesn't seem to change speeds when in a 3D app. and when I set the fan to 100% with rivatuner, I still can't see or hear a difference.

What's up with that?

Back