8600GTS in Ubuntu

hunter33

Limp Gawd
I'm dual booting Vista and Ubuntu, but work most of the time in Vista. I booted up Ubuntu last night and X server would not start. I installed an 8600GTS in this PC since the last time I booted Ubuntu, and now X server is giving an Nvidia driver error and will not start. I was able to reconfigure it and use the Vesa driver to get X, but am not sure what that will do for games and stuff. Is there an Nvidia driver that works in Ubuntu for the 8600GTS?

Thanks

You should just have to install the newest driver. Follow the sae procedure you used for the old card to get the newest driver installed.

edit... here is an excerpt from the ubuntu forums on how to get the latest nvidia drivers....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

Also I assume you have installed the newest Nvidia driver from the repos. To get it, this command:

Code:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx

Now lets edit some xorg.conf. First thing is to open it with this command:

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Find the “Module” section. Comment out the “Glcore” and “dri “ modules and make sure a “glx” module is there. So basically like this:
Code:

# Load "GLcore"
# Load "dri"
Load "glx"

Now find the “Devices” section.

Change every line but the “Identifier” line to look just like mine:

Code:

Section "Device"
Identifier- leave this line alone!
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

I prefer to use nvidias drivers and can't stand the package setup.

I like knowing how it installed and where it installed to.

Seriously use the package manager. If you dont like using a package manager then you should just start using LFS. and stop giving advice to other users. While your at it, build yourself a nice tall tower with no doors, or windows and lock yourself in.....

Seriously use the package manager. If you dont like using a package manager then you should just start using LFS. and stop giving advice to other users. While your at it, build yourself a nice tall tower with no doors, or windows and lock yourself in.....

Wow that was totally uncalled for. I've ran slackware, debian and gentoo and like the package manager that comes with Debian and Gentoo for retrieving stuff but for some things I won't use it and the nvidia drivers is one of those.

So go take your cranky attitude elsewhere please because you are human and don't know everything as well.

Maybe it is uncalled, but here you are giving the worst possible advice to a noob. You seem to be very skilled with Linux, and manually installing the nvidia driver may be a good option for you. However suggesting to other people that they do the same is retarded. It asinine. It's stupid. Iit's dumb. It's crazy. It's careless. It's thoughtless.. Maybe even a little reckless. Not to mention that it's just plain mean. While he's struggling to figure out file permissions, your laughing all the way home. It's a bit ignorant and rude. And --that-- is uncalled for.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx

Anything else is completely retarded and will probably break something. This is ubuntu, not gentoo or slack. OP, good luck. But if it breaks, let us know so we can laugh.

Gonna have to agree with duby229 and all others that say Let the package-manager take care of it!!!

Seriously its easier and it means that things will be put in the correct place as yr distro wants and it wont conflict with anything the distro will do!

Each distro will be different in the ways to deal with 3rd party things like this. For nvidia it is Envy it makes dealing with gfx drivers REALLY easy

For Gentoo it is the official tree + Overlays for interim.
Nvidia just released a new beta driver (169.04) and it is geared towards 8000series AND alot of bug-fixes

Did I just go an blindly download it and install it ready for my distro todo an update that could over-write it blindly? no I hacked together an ebuild (ie copy old one and a slight tweak) so that I can just go emerge world and it pulls in the new drivers UNDER package management. AND that is the key!

Sure this is alot easier for gentoo, but other distro (for Ubuntu Envy should update soon) there is an equiv

doing things outside of package management will result in issue later on

How many of you have actually TRIED the nvidia installer?

Its quite simple and doesn't break anything.

How many of you have actually TRIED the nvidia installer?

Its quite simple and doesn't break anything.

Yes it is quite easy to use but the point is manually dealing with drivers/packages is sooo last century and should be left in MS-land

Linux and their repo's will do all the hard work for you and you just choose what you want once and let yr distro-dev's sort out dependencies (nvidia can do silly things w.r.t. xorg and kernel-header requirements ;) )

Yes you can do it manually but why bother? Only instance is if yr dev's are slow

Linux's biggest problem is that everything is too cryptic and require knowledge over several aspects on tasks which on Windows are point-click-forget.

Untill that gets fixed, Linux will never be mainstream.

Back