8600gts and oblivion

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
My creaky old 6800gt needs to go. A 8800 will not fit in my case and I want the possilbilty of some direct x 10 in the future. I used to have a 360 and I played oblivion with that but I lost interest in console gaming and sold it. Now I have about $200 and I am looking at a 8600 gts.

A few questions, Will a 400w power supply be enough
How much bigger is this card than my 6800.
And how is oblivion with this card. Better or worse than xbox quality.

Thanks.

I bought an 8600GTS recently and have had no problems with running Oblivion at 1680x1050. You obviously can't crank up the AA or move the grass slider all the way to the right but it looks great, especially compared to the 6600GT I was using before.

My creaky old 6800gt needs to go. A 8800 will not fit in my case and I want the possilbilty of some direct x 10 in the future. I used to have a 360 and I played oblivion with that but I lost interest in console gaming and sold it. Now I have about $200 and I am looking at a 8600 gts.

A few questions, Will a 400w power supply be enough
How much bigger is this card than my 6800.
And how is oblivion with this card. Better or worse than xbox quality.

Thanks.
unless you have several drives even a decent 300watt psu can handle the 8600gts. i think the 8600gts is actually smaller than a 6800gt. i know its only about a cm or so longer than the 8600gt/7600gt cards.

unless you have several drives even a decent 300watt psu can handle the 8600gts. i think the 8600gts is actually smaller than a 6800gt.

My 8800GTS is quite a bit longer than my 6800nu. Evga, and other various boxes usually say:
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)

But I figure you may want to power other parts of your computer so perhaps a 500W+ would work just fine.

My 8800GTS is quite a bit longer than my 6800nu. Evga, and other various boxes usually say:

But I figure you may want to power other parts of your computer so perhaps a 500W+ would work just fine.
he is asking about an 8600gts

Says here; 8600GTS series Bfg tech

375W PCI Express-compliant system power supply (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor)
> PCI Express compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express x16 slot
> One 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector -or- Two 4-pin Molex supplementary power connectors

For the most part if you are bugeted to $200.00 and want DX10 and arnt gaming at (High Resolution) with Maxed everything you wont be disappointed....can easily play @1280x1064 Most all settings and 1024x768 with all Eycandy on ....

For $60-$100 more than 8600 you could have a 8800Gts320 But you said it wouldnt Fit in your Case Correct:D Ive seen Shuttles with the side cutout looks pretty wicked ,but i think your talking lenth wise instead of the side of the case ...

mini atx microfly case. Plus I have no desire to get a new powersupply.

I saw the case at Fry's last night ...The card should fit under Psu no problem ..just measure from the pcie slot cover towards the front and see if you have 9 3/4" lenth of card with the PciE conector if ya do you should be good..remember you can rearange the HD to another bay and then I would cut a hole in the side panel for a 90mm or 120mm Case Fan with a speed adjuster like (Thermallake Case fan) i would put it next to card where it can Push in Air towards the Vidcards fan inlet and it will also cool the middle of the card area ,Youll always have fresh air that way and the Rear case fan will Blow Air out makes a great wind tunnel...But for the most part It should work...;) Like i said only thing i can see is youll need to mount the HD in one of your upper bays at worst...

8800Gts would rock iin that thing ..Small package BIG PuNcH.:D

REVIEW BY: jake Reviewed Mar 03, 2007
nice little case. fits a full size power supply. running a intel g965ot board, e6600 intel processor, 4gb of ddr2 667, and 2 wd 500 gb hard dirves. everyting thing fits but you are definately limmited on real estate. I was surpirsed to find that my EVGA 8800 GTS video card fits with no problems. I am a little concerned about cooling, hopefully the vantec tornado I have as my intake fan and a vantec nexus fan controller will allieavite that issue.

Back