8600gt

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone play with one yet?

here are my results so far:
boomec5.jpg

are these inline with everyone else

I cant get ATI tool to overclock because that part is grayed out. I think I will leave mine alone since it runs so hot to begin with.

whoah you got one, thought you decided not to? Which version of atitool you using? I'm loading at like 48c atm at 715

whoah you got one, thought you decided not to? Which version of atitool you using? I'm loading at like 48c atm at 715
Well since I just bought the 7600gt two weeks earlier I returned it and got the 8600gt. It was $169 at Circuit City and to my surprise there was a $20 rebate. There was no better deal even online that I could fine at the time

Anyway I idle at 58c unless I force the fan on in ntune and then it goes down to 53c. The highest temp I have seen is 79c. This card is the complete opposite of the 7600gt when it comes to the fan. The 7600gt fan always wanted to be on at full blast and the 8600gt will never come on even during gaming. When I do force it on its much much quieter than the 7600gt.

Well since I just bought the 7600gt two weeks earlier I returned it and got the 8600gt. It was $169 at Circuit City and to my surprise there was a $20 rebate. There was no better deal even online that I could fine at the time

Anyway I idle at 58c unless I force the fan on in ntune and then it goes down to 53c. The highest temp I have seen is 79c. This card is the complete opposite of the 7600gt when it comes to the fan. The 7600gt fan always wanted to be on at full blast and the 8600gt will never come on even during gaming. When I do force it on its much much quieter than the 7600gt.

ohh, I'm on water right now.

ohh, I'm on water right now.
Must be nice. Do you have Vista or XP? I still cant get the ATI tool to work. I get a message saying "The kernel mode driver does not seem to be running"when I run it. Ati tools will open up but I cant move the sliders. Am I missing something?

Must be nice. Do you have Vista or XP? I still cant get the ATI tool to work. I get a message saying "The kernel mode driver does not seem to be running"when I run it. Ati tools will open up but I cant move the sliders. Am I missing something?

windows xp right now. I just installed the drivers off the cd and installed ati tool .26 I think

most likely =/ Does ntune support vista? Ntune was garbage for me, even stock didn't pass tests lol.
The overclock feature in ntune doesnt work. I wonder if they will ever fix it. I miss having xp so I could use the old control panel and coolbits. That was so simple. :(

The overclock feature in ntune doesnt work. I wonder if they will ever fix it. I miss having xp so I could use the old control panel and coolbits. That was so simple. :(

New Ntune released today. It now allows overclocking in Vista. Woot!!!

It doesnt have a "test" so how do know if the oc is ok. I can choose any number on the slider and click apply but there is nothing to confirm it changed. I guess i will run the FEAR time demo to see.

uh can you run the artifact tester on atitool? And does atitool show the proper clocks? I know you said you can't change the clocks with atitool on vista, but I'm not sure if you can artifact test/confirm clocks or not.

uh can you run the artifact tester on atitool? And does atitool show the proper clocks? I know you said you can't change the clocks with atitool on vista, but I'm not sure if you can artifact test/confirm clocks or not.
I uninstalled the ati tool.

I went from 540/1400 to 670/1606 and jumped 14 fps in FEAR. I did see one little glitch so I will back it down a notch.

620/1494 gave an 11 fps increase in FEAR. I will probably just keep it stock since I play at 1024x768 on my crt and already get plenty of fps in the games I play. Well maybe in Stalker I will oc for a little boost. Anyway its funny that a working version of ntune came out while replying in this thread. :D

nice clocks =D
Actually 662/1762 ran without a hitch. I think just under 670 core is about as high I can go with a glitch. Ill save the oc for when I really need later on. :D

Its odd that a stock 8600gt is really no better than a 7600gt at 1280 or above with AA. :(

Actually 662/1762 ran without a hitch. I think just under 670 core is about as high I can go with a glitch. Ill save the oc for when I really need later on. :D

Its odd that a stock 8600gt is really no better than a 7600gt at 1280 or above with AA. :(

yeah at stock they're a notch above a 7600gt in some games, and even in others. They oc rather well though and in shader intensive games they cant get a hefty lead. Im planning to pencil mine, I'm aiming for 850MHz core 1GHz memory

hey guys

from the results posted:
620 mhz is +11 fps
670 mhz is +14 fps

i tend to think these cards are mostly core limited, maybe its interesting to test OCed mem Vs stock mem with the same core speed to see if its even worth OCing the mem at all, from what i noticed on previous NV cards, core OCing yields a bigger performance increase usually

oh and i have to ask, is this all on stock cooling?

hey guys

from the results posted:
620 mhz is +11 fps
670 mhz is +14 fps

i tend to think these cards are mostly core limited, maybe its interesting to test OCed mem Vs stock mem with the same core speed to see if its even worth OCing the mem at all, from what i noticed on previous NV cards, core OCing yields a bigger performance increase usually

oh and i have to ask, is this all on stock cooling?

sounds like theyre bandwidth limited to me ;p

Wee here is some FEAR reults. I ran the game at 1024x768, 2AA, 16AF, vsync off, all max settings except shadows and soft shadows were off.

540/1400....91 fps

540/1776....98 fps

667/1400....98 fps

667/1776...109 fps

Back