• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

8600GT capacitor replacement

amazon3d

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
454
Okay so I have an XFX 8600GT that has some blown capacitors and I ordered my replacement caps. They came in and I would like to know if anyone has done it and if they have any pictures so I could figure out which way my new caps should go in.
 
Capacitors are polarized. Check the ones you are removing to see which way they are oriented, and then just match the same orientation with the ones you are replacing them with.
 
Well the ones that were on the board didn't have markings. However when removing one I saw that underneath they had a + on one side. So I replaced the popped ones and I am going to make sure it boots before replacing the rest.
System booted, installing drivers now!
 
Last edited:
After getting drivers installed it works fine. I was able to play 3D games with no problem, first video card repaired :)
 
Speaking of capacitors, got to get 11 new capacitors for my 8600gt, after last ones blew up under frost strained under DRYCE.

Image000-2.jpg

Image001-2.jpg
 
? I removed all of them, just waiting for new 800uf capacitors to arrive and then gotta solder them onto those empty capacitor markings.
Real polymer capacitors don't pop. However, a few brands like to make standard liquid electrolyte capacitors with the casing style typically used for polymer capacitors.
 
Yeah, it's quite sneaky. They use regular cheap and crappy liquid caps and but put a wrap on them that make them look like solid caps.

It's like packaging a stick of mud in a chocolate bar wrapper. :)

Usually you only find this on low end cards like the 8600GT though.
 
Yeah, it's quite sneaky. They use regular cheap and crappy liquid caps and but put a wrap on them that make them look like solid caps.

It's like packaging a stick of mud in a chocolate bar wrapper. :)

Usually you only find this on low end cards like the 8600GT though.
They're quite common on cheap hardware in general, and not just video cards. Easy to identify though; fake polymers have vent scoring on top whereas real polymers do not.
 
you could prob buy a used card for $25 that would spank that card instead of fixing it.
 
you could prob buy a used card for $25 that would spank that card instead of fixing it.

Or buy $4 worth of caps and fix it, saving $21. My mindset is to save money where ever possible. And the 8600GT can still hold it's own on low res applications and older games.
 
I know. Like I said, polymer capacitors don't pop.

Actually they can, a overclocking thread at Xtremesystems forums, had this one guy whos Solid Capacitor blew up to shreds on his Asus motherboard. So it may not be common, but can happen.
 
Or buy $4 worth of caps and fix it, saving $21. My mindset is to save money where ever possible. And the 8600GT can still hold it's own on low res applications and older games.

Not to mention the skills and experience you gain from soldering yourself, then buying a cheap replacement card, sure it will work, but its great to have the upperhand advantage when your next piece of tech blows up from a leaking/bulged capacitor and .... out comes the soldering.
 
Actually they can, a overclocking thread at Xtremesystems forums, had this one guy whos Solid Capacitor blew up to shreds on his Asus motherboard. So it may not be common, but can happen.
Link? Only possibilities I can think of are that it wasn't a real polymer capacitor, or there was some kind of gas or liquid trapped inside the casing as a manufacturing defect and it expanded when heated up.
 
Link? Only possibilities I can think of are that it wasn't a real polymer capacitor, or there was some kind of gas or liquid trapped inside the casing as a manufacturing defect and it expanded when heated up.

Finding post now, (last viewed half year ago) the guy was overclocking at high frequency w/high voltage, and was running some kind of cooling, was it DRYCE or Liquid forgot, anyway finding it the link right now, could take a while....

EDIT: Finally found it
http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=151968
 
Last edited:
Back
Top