8600 or 7950?

BlackTigers91

2[H]4U
Well, I've been out of the hardware loop for quite some time, and I am going to be picking up a new graphics card.

As of right now, the main components of my PC are:
X2 3600+ Brisbane at 2.6Ghz
2GB Low-Latency DDR2-800
Seasonic M12 SS-500HM
17" LCD (1280x1024)
7800GT

However, I'd like to have a bit more on the Graphics end of my machine. The 7800GT seems to start losing it's edge for me, and when I get to Oblivion in a few days I feel that it may just not cut it for me anymore. So, I'd like to pick something up in the $200 range for now.

At first I was thinking about the 8800GTS 320MB, but I also got to realize that it may be wasted at my resolution, and I may be able to save a few bucks getting something farther down the line, and still produce consistent performance. The 8800 is still an option, but avoiding it if I can = good.

So, I've kind of narrowed my choices down to a 7950GT or an 8600GTS. I may be purchasing a new monitor in a few months, so I would buy an eVGA card so that I can 'step-up' to a better card when I start on the higher resolution.

The main games I intend to play are really just Oblivion and BF2 for now, and maybe some Stalker or something.

So, which would you guys choose for my res?

I also use 1280x1024 and have a 8800gts 640. You could get away with a 320 fine but I wanted to future proof more in case the newer games demand more memory, plus I like to game multitask or run two game clients at the same time in MMOs.

The 8800 will give you the best eye candy and better image quality than the 7 series, and the 8600 is not strong enough given the price difference between it and a 320mb 8800gts.

Remember, stepping up is from your paid price to their MSRP. Not your paid price to store prices which usually are lower than the MSRP.

I say get the 8600 if you go on popular reviews of the card they paint a poor picture of this card but so far everyone i have seen that has actually played games with one is thouroughly impressed.

If you can afford the 8800 on the other hand it really is worth the extra cash.

Im like most of you out there that want killer FPS when you game...So i was playing on a (7950GT512mb Ko )for about 2months waiting to get my hands on a (8600GTS) despite seeing the FPS scores in all bench's ive read... I play (@ 1024x768@75hz) on widescreen21".....

.I always had good FPS with( 7950)... So when i finally picked up a (8600GTS) it kinda blew me away at what it does on the games that people didnt bother testing ,It perfomed on the same games my 7950 played and makes me wonder about what DX10 will be like... Thats the reason i will never pick a card based on FPS scores . FPS is not everything ,Yes its a base line for performance but with out the other technology its just the same game a lil faster!

Well I know the GTS will handle what the (7950) did at (1024x768 ) no problem..I borrowed my friends 7950 after selling it to him Hehe,so i could show you what a differance the Shader Technology makes running a game at which the 7950 and 8600GTS had all EYCANDY ON. The Control panel for each card was optimized with full AA/AF and all eyecandy while running cards at max FPS with Vsync and tripple Buffer off...The result i still cant believe and people are knocking me down for this ..

.The 8600GTS is just way smoother and stunning ,Im not talking about FPS either because the card performs with all eyecandy on ..So here is a (ScreenShot of the Same area )with both Cards First is (7950)93.81 no BSOD's driver ,Next is (8600GTS )158.19driver and the best part is that the 7950 would not play the game with out glitchyness or lag so was not able to run the Generation Content smooth..Also the 7950 performed smooth with no new content enabled the card just couldnt handle the extra shading and lighting textures Despite it having 512mb of ram..Thats the main reason i stuck with the 8600GTS...

These cards were both Run under X64bit XPpro Edition with Pc in my sig!DX9April2007.

7950 with full EYECANDY

7950fullEYCANDY.jpg

8600GTS with full EYECANDY

8600GTSfullon.jpg

So in the long run the 8600GTS can perform where the 7series cards cant and thats the Shader Technology and the games play just as smooth as a 7950 or X1900 garanteed so please dont just go by FPS alone Thank you Enjoy ( Screen of TombRaiderLegends x64os)

P.S. For the price 8800GTS is below $250 now ! but im wating for the $320 or so 640mb ")

That is what makes me happy with a 8600GTS over my 7950 at the( Resolution i play at)1024x768@75hzwidescreen21"Viewsonic.For the most part the FPS are faster in some games due to the new Shader Technoligy and lil slower in other games but in the long run id rather have a lil of both .At higher Res you do lose FPS but all games are very smooth and playable with substantually improved Graphics, All or most EyCandy on:cool:

The fact that DX9 games are so much better now Visually than when i played on my7950 in which it does not have the newer shader technoligy that my GTS has. I dont care about the benches with Fps marks knocking the 8600GTS down when in reallity it plays all my games smooth and crisp despite the FPS readings in Benchmarks..

So please if anyone is looking for a new card and can Grab a 8600GTS for a good price (under $200.00 grab it and test it you wont be left in the dust as many Bench Marks show trust me.

I play Americas Army alot over 2000hrs Lol may not be much to some Extream Gamers, from Version 1.9 to 2.8 Which relies on the Vid Card and system memmory more than anything. I was very reluctant to replace my 7950 for a new medium class card...Every map has better shading, textures , and lighting . On any map The GTS has 85FPS on line all the time. I used to complain about Lag with my 7950 with over 100FPS this card smoothed the issue right out go figure. I dont own a copy of F.E.A.R or BF2 or BF2142 but ill will try to get some Screens if i can borrow the games from a friend.

Just remember all games differ ,and that this card does best @1024x768..so if you need more get the 7950 or 8800 for the( Highest FPS) if thats what your basing your card on.

Back