• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8500GT doesn't like Adobe Flash 10.1

TechHunter

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
2
Hi All

I'm hoping someone here has seen this problem before and can provide a quick answer (because it's starting to get on my nerves). I have a 8500 GT in a Windows 7 Home Premium system. It ran fine until I went to Flash 10.1. Now everytime a Flash video plays the 8500 GT driver crashes. I have gone as far as removing the card from the machine, deleting all the drivers and reinstalling from scratch with the latest driver from Nvidia, but no luck. I also tried rolling back to an earlier version of Flash, put my system won't have it. As soon as I try to play a video it says I need to update to Flash 10.1.

I don't care how I fix this (fix the driver or find a way of using an earlier version of Flash), I just want it to work. I have a ticket open with Nvidia, but so far they have only come up with things I have already tried.
 
I believe you are crashing due to a problem with Flash Player 10.1's new hardware acceleration feature, which is enabled by default. The normal procedure to turn it off is:

1. Watch any Youtube video
2. While the video is playing, right-click on the player and select "Settings".
3. Click to the first tab in the settings window and uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration" box.
4. Click "Close" and try watching any Youtube video in full screen mode again.
Edit/Delete Message

However, the foolish part about enabling this by default is that if the feature crashes your PC, you have no way of getting to the place to turn it off!

To get around this, I found in this thread the suggestion to go this page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

and right-click on the flash object there to get to the Settings. If your PC crashes on that page, you may need to remove the 8500GT from your computer and then open that page to get to the settings.
 
Hi evilsofa

Thanks for the info. It took a few attempts to get this done. I just had a few seconds from Flash starting till the driver crashed. The first few times it crashed just as I tried to uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration" box, but third time did prove lucky - and the problem is solved.
 
Back
Top