• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

850 watts more than enough?

OldDeadOne

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2001
Messages
1,139
I will be building a quad core system piece by piece in the next few months and I probably will have a max of 2 hard drives with one video card(maybe two since the motherboard I'm getting can do two). Would a 850 watt power supply be enough or would I need more? This is going to be my second build as I"m still using my 7 year old PIII 1 ghz dually(I would love to build a skulltrail to keep my dual socket ways going....lol)
 
A real 850W? without a doubt. An 850W... yeah probably, lol.

Your not going to be pulling over 500W with 2 video cards and 2 hard drives.

keep in mind which chipset supports which dual-card config. Theres SLI (two Geforce cards) and Crossfire (Two Radeon cards), Most chipsets only do one, not the other. If you buy a P45 board and expect two 9800GTX's to work, your out of luck.
 
....there's never a reason, ever to skimp on the psu. Just getting by is not the answer.
 
Any quality 850W power supply (Corsair, BFG, etc) will be overkill for that system... not that that's a bad thing. I've always bought the a step or two up from the power supply I figured I'd need to build a new system so I can toss in add-ons later.

I don't know what your budget is or the specs... assuming Q6600 or similar, WD SE16 640GB drive(s), HD4870 or GTX260 then a quality 650W would be more than you need, even if you dumped a second video card in to it. Add all that up and a quality 650-700W power supply would fit the bill.

Maybe one of these?

BFG 680-------------------- $95.00 after $45 savings, with additional $20MIR (ick)
Corsair CMPSU-650---- $99.00 after $60 savings, free shipping and add'l $20 MIR

Check out the systems builds in the General Hardware forum to get some ideas.
 
Back
Top