85% cpu usage not showing up as a process!!!

corona262

Limp Gawd
this afternoon i noticed my system acting very sluggish. everything was taking longer than normal and i was getting outrageous lag in ut2003 and battlefield 1942. The first thing i did was check the processes in the task manager and see if somethiong was using cpu cycles. My cpu cycles are steady at about 85% but if i look at the individual processes there are no processes using any cpu cycles. The system idle process is showing 99 but cpu usage at the bottom is showing 85. doing something as simple as bringing up this web page and typing this post is putting my cpu usage to 100% and there is about a half second lag between the time i type a word and when it actually shows on the screen. I am duel booting xp home and windows 2003 enterprise edition. It is doing this under both operating systems. If anyone has an idea how i can isolate what is using these cpu cyles or atleast find out what it is it would be much appreciated. Oh, and btw...i did a full virus scan and ran adware6 and spybot and nothing helped...no viruses were found

All I know is system idle processes taking up 99% is completely normal for an XP system...

... That's all I know, though. Sounds like a hardware problem if it's doing it in both operating systems :(

how old is the system, is it overclocked, what kind of cooling, did this just start happening?

mebbe u got a virus! Or some file corruption? Run a chkdsk, defraggle, check yer windows updates. My machine was doing that not long ago... heh I think I ended up reformatting it since it had been like 2 years since I last did it.

That happened to me a few months ago and all I could do was reinstall windows over and over until I found an install order that didn't cause it. Since you're having it in two operating systems, it seems pretty likely I was just wasting my time with the reinstalls so I have no idea how to fix this.

Tsumari

I had already run norton, adware6 and spybot prior to this post and that didnt help. I ran checkdisc, defragged and my windows are up to date, (both of them) My winxp instalation is only about 30 days old and my win2003 was just installed last week. the only thig in my comp that is older than 6 months is my cdrw.
I installed win2003 again but on another partition and its doing it still now on all 3 installed os's

It seems to me like its hardware related since it happens in all 3 operating systems...either that or a virus that norton couldnt find since many viruses reside in your ram. Unfortunately i can pinpoint it.

fight fight fight.

This makes very little sense. You should be able to see whats taking up the cycles? Is there any chance your drives are very full? Sometimes defrag won't work right. Suggested is 15% open.

Originally posted by corona262
this afternoon i noticed my system acting very sluggish. everything was taking longer than normal and i was getting outrageous lag in ut2003 and battlefield 1942. The first thing i did was check the processes in the task manager and see if somethiong was using cpu cycles. My cpu cycles are steady at about 85% but if i look at the individual processes there are no processes using any cpu cycles. The system idle process is showing 99 but cpu usage at the bottom is showing 85. doing something as simple as bringing up this web page and typing this post is putting my cpu usage to 100% and there is about a half second lag between the time i type a word and when it actually shows on the screen. I am duel booting xp home and windows 2003 enterprise edition. It is doing this under both operating systems. If anyone has an idea how i can isolate what is using these cpu cyles or atleast find out what it is it would be much appreciated. Oh, and btw...i did a full virus scan and ran adware6 and spybot and nothing helped...no viruses were found

I'm guessing it's this system (since you said dual boot):
System 1
[email protected]\gigabyte K8n Pro\1024mb winbond BH-5\120gb maxtor ata-133 8mb cache\ 9800 non-pro flashed to pro bios 500/380\54x cdrom\8x4x32 cdrw\19 in. dell m990 logitech mx-700\sbc yahoo dsl, 6000/512up\duel boot windows xp/win2003 enterprise

Have you tried booting into safe mode, and see if the problem goes away? If it does it could be a corrupted device driver of some sort.

Map the process to a port, or vice versa if you suspect a trojan

11 Port Enumerators Review @ Windows & .NET Magazine

FProt and TCPView are freeware

a few Excerpts

Fport
Foundstone's Fport (free) is probably the most recommended command-line port mapper in the business. It's a solid, small-footprint, command-line port enumerator that you can install quickly. Fport lists PIDs, process names, local port numbers, protocols, process executables, and paths. Although many people heap praise on this utility, it lacks key features. For example, it doesn't list local IP addresses, it doesn't give you remote IP addresses and port numbers, and it gives no indication of state or ongoing activity. I used a BO2K Trojan-horse client from a remote computer to connect to my computer, yet Fport didn't show any of that activity. I've also seen Fport miss certain open ports in the past. Fport was once a worthy sidekick, but after seeing some of the competition, I'll probably use another product for future investigations

TCPView
Sysinternals' TCPView (free) is a no-frills product. The utility runs as one executable and features a real-time GUI that displays the right information where you need to see it. It lists process name, PID, protocol, local and remote IP address and port number, and state. By clicking a process connection, you can obtain the full path location and take steps to kill the process. New activity is color-coded for easy viewing.

A free product that delivers the basics seems hard to beat. However, in my tests, TCPView suffered from stability problems on Windows NT Server 4.0. For example, when I chose to save screen results to a text file, the program disappeared or crashed. Also, in the past, I've experienced stability problems when I've installed TCPView on NT 4.0 workstations—namely, continuous blue screen problems starting immediately after the first reboot. However, the program is stable on newer Windows platforms. Sysinternals and Wininternals Software have released a lot of high-quality free and commercial software, but use this utility at your own risk on NT.

Initially, I was going to review TCPView Pro, which is TCPView's more feature-rich commercial cousin. However, an evaluation version wasn't available for download from the company's Web site. TCPView Pro appears to be available only as part of a large Administrator's Pak (i.e., one of five utilities).

Port Explorer
Diamond Computer Systems' (DiamondCS's) Port Explorer ($40) is easily the best product in this comparative review. It has an impressively designed GUI, is easy to install, is quite stable, produces a large amount of useful information without requiring you to dig, comes with a set of forensics tools, and highlights bad programs. If Port Explorer determines that a program is acting strangely, the tool marks the program's port in red. In my tests, the tool marked both the BO2K and NetBus Trojan-horse ports. After you install Port Explorer for the first time, it displays its Help file—a nice touch. It's the only port mapper to have its own discussion board, and its developers seem dedicated to making Port Explorer the best product in its class.

Apparently, Port Explorer uses as many as five separate methods—SNMP, LSP, an undocumented Transport Driver Interface (TDI) technique, and documented and undocumented IPHelper techniques—for tracking and identifying processes. In my testing, Port Explorer was the most accurate tool and was one of only two port mappers to display the remote IP address and port number of UPD connections on screen and in a log file

if you think that it might possibly be eating net bandwidth as well, I'd suggest running a software firewall and see if there are any extra processes trying to grab a shot at the internet-- i used to have issues with my virus protection, even when its autoscan functions were disabled, eating cpu cycles. if you setup your columns in your system monitor in windows to show CPU Time, you might actually be able to see if there's a process that's been trying to hog your CPU.

That option is in Task MAnager (WXP Pro) under Options > select columns... also i'd look at what might be committing stuff to memory, if you're concerned that it's eating RAM at the same time... but i managed to narrow down my virus protection proggy by looking at its cpu time. sorry that jackass decided to threadcrap. good luck.

Back