8400gs... major video errors

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
Okay so a friend of mine shipped me this 8400gs for free! Since I am currently using onboard video I figure this has to be better. I plug it into my PCI-E slot and use a DVI-M adaptor ( what it says on package ) to knock the DVI down to VGA for my 21" CRT. I thought all was going well until I fired it up. The screen is nothing but random square colors. When the screen changes to load windows the image turns to fine lines... still nothing visible and not even close. Is the card screwed up or my PCI-E slot or maybe the DVI-M adaptor? Asus' website says the 8400gs has DVI-I output... does it matter?

1. Check if the card is seated properly.
2. Go to BIOS->Video Settings (something like that)->Disable Onboard (something like that)

I have reseated the video card several times and it didn't change anything. I also went into the bios and set the initial display slot to PCI-E then set onboard video to auto ( can't disable ). I'm not new to any of this but I've never used an adaptor so I wasn't sure if it could be the problem. I was also afraid that maybe the board may be toast?

I would guess the card didn't survive the trip. Was it in an anti-static bag and well packaged?

yep anti-static bag, well packed with peanuts, taped good, no signs of damage

he's sent me a lot of stuff before so it's not that he's a bad friend. I think maybe it's the motherboard? I've never used the PCI-E port before and some of the USB ports don't work either

yep anti-static bag, well packed with peanuts, taped good, no signs of damage

Just peanuts? That is a BIG no no. you need BUBBLEWRAP.

he's sent me a lot of stuff before so it's not that he's a bad friend. I think maybe it's the motherboard? I've never used the PCI-E port before and some of the USB ports don't work either

Try the card out in another computer first.

It could also be thet your buddy never used the analog output. Do you have a monitor/TV with DVI/HDMI inputs around the house?

Did you remember to remove the driver for the onboard video? It may be important especially if the onboard and new card are not from the same manufacturer's series. Is the fan on the videocard spinning? Make sure it's not jammed.

I have another box of motherboards and processors coming today hopefully. I'll try it in another computer when those get here. DefaultIuser, I don't have any other monitors or TV's that support DVI or HDMI input. Saabjock, Even during post the screen is terrible, you can't see anything except random colors. Also the onboard video is Nvidia 6100 so the drivers are they same correct?

Okay, I got the second package with other motherboards and parts. I tested the 8400gs in this computer and it doesn't work here either. So the card is officially toast. I am using another card he sent me now and it's a ATI HD2400 Pro 256mb. Is it any good?

It actually sounds like the display resolution night be set to something the crt can't handle. Was it the same monitor both times? I've seen it before. Is it the same at a lower resolution?

It's the same monitor... a Hitachi CM823F 21". It's not just random bars going up and down the screen it's small block scattered all over the screen... In the other computer I tried to leave it go for a few to see if it'd eventually get to windows and be fine but it didn't do anything.

It's the same monitor... a Hitachi CM823F 21". It's not just random bars going up and down the screen it's small block scattered all over the screen... In the other computer I tried to leave it go for a few to see if it'd eventually get to windows and be fine but it didn't do anything.

no that means the memory on the card is most likely fried.

you can try baking the card for 5-10 mins with the heatsink off in a 400 degree oven. that could revive it. i mean the cards already toast so why not give it a shot.

okay new problem that I hope you all can help me with. I have a Dell PS/2 keyboard that I've used for a long time. When I got this computer I had to buy a PS/2-USB adapter because this computer has no PS/2 ports. I installed a few games to test them and I quickly noticed that if I am moving forward ( or backward ) and I hit a or d while moving forward I can do that but as soon as I let go of the a or d key I also quit moving forward. It never did this before I had this computer. Is it the adapter or the computer?

okay new problem that I hope you all can help me with. I have a Dell PS/2 keyboard that I've used for a long time. When I got this computer I had to buy a PS/2-USB adapter because this computer has no PS/2 ports. I installed a few games to test them and I quickly noticed that if I am moving forward ( or backward ) and I hit a or d while moving forward I can do that but as soon as I let go of the a or d key I also quit moving forward. It never did this before I had this computer. Is it the adapter or the computer?

Probably the adapter. Don't expect things to work %100 the same as the old PS/2 port, the USB adapter is simply emulating your old device. There are sure to be a few mistakes in said emulation.

It'll have to wait for a little bit as money is tight right now. Anyway, that HD2400 Pro is working nicely so far. I can't complain since it was free :D I have tested Oblivion, WOW, and COD2. While none of these games are the newest and greatest thing they are fun and it plays them alright at lower resolutions. On WOW at 1024x768 I get 35fps with every setting maxed except for shadows. This card is passive also which sucks! ATI tool said it was running at 53c idle! I put a small fan on it and dropped the temps to about 33-35c idle. I haven't tested load temps yet.

Back