8400 or 9450?

intel april 20th price cuts..at the new price of the q6700, that maybe the real processor to get!

Processor Old price New Price
Core 2 Quad Q6700 $527 $270
Core 2 Quad Q6600 $270 $229
Core 2 Duo E8300 - $169
Core 2 Duo E4600 $139 $119
Pentium E2200 $87 $77
Pentium E2180 $77 $67
Celeron 440 $54 $45
Celeron 430 $45 $35

there was an article in anandtech or toms comparing the 6600/6700 quads against the 9450/9550 and the extra l2 cache didnt account for much. and as i can attest, the die shrinkage didnt do much for the temps, either.

the truth may well be what we've been told all along..quad penryn- great for server and task applications that involved the extra cache and at stock speeds especially in multiple server box applications, the savings are power and heat dissipation results are probably pretty amazing long term..but otherwise, i'm starting to believe that the quad penryn ain't that big a deal..for me anyway...my video needs amount really to encoding a few movies..maybe once i get into hd tasks, i'll appreciate a penryn's abilities more? (and this is as a penryn quad owner, so no sour grapes to be had) i would have got a quad one way or the other..my only change in thought is knowing what the new 6700 prices are going to be, i would have waited until that point and passed on the penryn series until the N's come out in 2009.

E3110 OEM for $199.99 and BOXED for $234.99 @ tankguys.com

cheaper than e8400

If you can still find it like I did, I bought my Q6600 at Microcenter for $199. Best money ever spent.. I'm at a solid 3.5ghz, I can do a 500+ FSB and all of this performance won't break the bank.

512FSB.jpg

and you've got a decent voltage and i assume..decent temperatures to go with it. i can tell you given what you need to put into a quad core penryn to do 3500+, there likely isn't really much temp difference cause there isn't going to be much voltage difference..it's about 1.35 volts on the penryn 9450 to get 3500+

and you've got a decent voltage and i assume..decent temperatures to go with it. i can tell you given what you need to put into a quad core penryn to do 3500+, there likely isn't really much temp difference cause there isn't going to be much voltage difference..it's about 1.35 volts on the penryn 9450 to get 3500+

Yeah.. Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to buy into the 45nm quads. This current build of mine (Q6600) in its original concept, was leaning towards a 45nm processor. After pricing and waiting and more waiting.. I decided to just go with the 65nm quad. My temps are "comparable" to what I believe the new 45nm quads would run, but obviously, the 45nm quads are utilizing a small die and "should" produce a little less heat, therefore running cooler. However, I have no personal experiences with the 45nm processors (yet). Since I have a QX6700 with its unlocked multiplier just sitting here in my Lian Li buiild, it's overclocked to a respectable 3.905ghz, but it produces its fair share of heat. I bought a phase change unit to do some extreme overclocking and to keep those temps down. If someone was happy with a B3 stepping QX6700, I'd sell it and try my hand at the 45nm quads.

For the record, my Q6600 idles mid 30's and under 8 hours @ 100% load on all four cores, I hit 60c. Are the 45nm quads comparable at my given speed? They should run cooler.. it would be nice to see a few 45nm quad temperature screen shots..

35ghztemps.jpg

i wish i had them for you..matter of fact, i haven't seen anyone show temps yet with the xeon or 9x quads. in my case, it's an ES and B1 stepping and the sensors are broken, period. they have shown in coretemp (any version ) as 126C on all 4 cores no matter whether idle or load..so i'm interested to see some reference points as well with the 9450 or xeon equivalent at various voltage levels so i can get some sense of what my temps:)

i wish i had them for you..matter of fact, i haven't seen anyone show temps yet with the xeon or 9x quads. in my case, it's an ES and B1 stepping and the sensors are broken, period. they have shown in coretemp (any version ) as 126C on all 4 cores no matter whether idle or load..so i'm interested to see some reference points as well with the 9450 or xeon equivalent at various voltage levels so i can get some sense of what my temps:)

You will know monday, thats when mine arrives. :D

excellent..that's the quad xeon, right? (getting confused with a mix of quad and dualie talk, sorry:))

i've ordered my own toy given that the temps are never going to show for my ES penryn:

digthermo.gif

some guys on xtremesystems.org (where else?LOL) are using these type of thermometers for addiional testing..if nothing else, it sounds like fun:) this one is about 35 bucks on sale but you can get smaller ones that look like a digital stopwatch for like 9 bucks (and actually include as well a stopwatch and clock:)) good for figuring out hotspots in cases and such too for fan placement. you can get a variety of these at harbourfreight.com

excellent..that's the quad xeon, right? (getting confused with a mix of quad and dualie talk, sorry:))

i've ordered my own toy given that the temps are never going to show for my ES penryn:

digthermo.gif

some guys on xtremesystems.org (where else?LOL) are using these type of thermometers for addiional testing..if nothing else, it sounds like fun:) this one is about 35 bucks on sale but you can get smaller ones that look like a digital stopwatch for like 9 bucks (and actually include as well a stopwatch and clock:)) good for figuring out hotspots in cases and such too for fan placement. you can get a variety of these at harbourfreight.com

Ive got one of these and it was at harborfreight which is like the cheapest place you can get tools. And they are really fun to play with.

ANd yes, it will be an X3350 Xeon processor. Xeon also sounds badass. :p

cool all the way around..and yes, xeon does sound badass..penryn sounds like the name of an elf in lord of the rings:) a distinguished elf, but still..an elf:)

Back