• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8400 on 680i vs P35 ???

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 8, 2001
Messages
5,540
Got ahold of a e8400
I have a Abit IN932MAX 680-i (FS BTW if anyone wants)
Surprisingly this chip worked in it, all the way to 3.85Ghz
I was surprised how well it works with the 680-i, very snappy!

I am looking for 4ghz +

Is it worth the hassle to install a iP35 Pro I have sitting here,
I mean is the 680-i holding back the chip? It would sure piss me off to spend an hour swapping out the mobos and then get the same overclock :-P

Anyone w/ experience going from one to the other LMK
 
IMO only way to know for sure is to go through the hassle. Even without the OC issue I would go with the the P35 chipset over the 680.
 
Just hook up the mobo outside of the box. So you don't have to take everything out of the case :D Take out ram and proc and just set the mobo on top of the case while it's on its side and put the mobo on the mobo box and just hook up the psu :D
 
Got my e8400 to 4050 with no problem on my Abit IN9 32Max. I was shooting for 4G and got it. I may try to go higher in the future. I am not the only one doing well with the Abit IN9 32Max with the dual core 45nm chips. Your problem may be elsewhere.
 
you might see a difference in overclocking if you were running a quad, but you will probably see the exact performance from the abit p35 board. you would possibly squeeze out another hundred or 2 mhz if you had a dfi p35 board. if you are looking for 4ghz on the 680i, add more volts, do vdroop pencil mod.


why is it suprising that the e8400 worked in the 680i?
 
w/ the older BIOS I had

I thought the P35 was supposedly getting 2-3 hundred more MHz. than older shipsets with the dualcores?
 
my 8400 is at 4.05 air cooled, i can run 4.3 but i need like 1.4+ volts, im at 1.36 volts right now, with 30-35c idle temps;zalman 9700 hsf...

edit: p35 pro mobo
 
Yeah, i would go a P35 for the E8400. im on a maximus formulat and a e8400 ive gotten mine all the way to 4.5 at 1.55 volts. to much volts for me though so i dropped it to 4. and have volts at 1.48 (not much better really)
 
i wouldnt switch, a 680i is one of the newest chipsets out there. Plus it is a enthuisest chipset, the p35 is really just for general use now a days for the most part
 
Back
Top