840 Evo.. stutters..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure if it's OS related but the drive in a laptop was getting weird stutters.. sometimes when typing it would halt and then start showing letters again. I have heard these have issues with longevity but the drive has had very little use. Is there any fix for this? the drive seems to be up to date on it's firmware.

Would that be caused by the drive or ram or something else? Doesn't it only save to the ssd when you click save or it autosaves, unless you filled up your memory.

Btw will there be an 840 evo firmware fix anytime soon?

There's a firmware fix expected by the end of this month.

Pcper has a write up on it.

Run HDTach (in XP compatibility mode) on the drive to see if you get a big droop. If you don't then the issues you're having are not related to the firmware issue.

Last edited:
Again, this is a utility for HARD DRIVES. Doing a read-write cycle to every sector on your SSD is not really advised.

Over here is someone who hasn't read anything about v4.6 of Samsung's magician tool.

Go read, v4.6 does the EXACT SAME THING. The new firmware? also does the exact same thing, albeit more slowly and in the background.

And the new magician doesn't work on OEM EVO drives (such as the one in the SP3) so diskfresh is the only way to restore performance on those drives

So is the firmware out? And it just rewrites everything in the background?
That's a bit disappointing if that is the fix.

Ok yeah.. I am lost here as to what the fix is but it sounds like we are waiting on the firmware? I have the drive mounted in my docking station and am afraid to use it for an OS until I can get this resolved. It was getting poor benchmarks when I did run them and I never could get it right so I gave up. Thanks for all the replys!

i ran the new firmware and the advanced performance deal from within samsung magician, it helped my 250GB evo and restored it's performance.

[U]ber|Noob;1041567686 said:
So is the firmware out? And it just rewrites everything in the background?
That's a bit disappointing if that is the fix.

It's out. Restoring performance on my 750GB drive took about an hour.

Is it a perm fix or something you have to do often to keep performance in check?

Once you get the firmware it's something that should only be needed once given the computer is on long enough for the thing to give the drive time to refresh itself in the background.

It seems like the new firmware is immediately available now, once you update the magician software. Last week I had to wait 2 days for it to show up, today I had both systems that I updated have the firmware show up right away.

So it will reduce how long the drive will last.

I guess you can't have a slow drive so I guess it's the only way.

what is the bug and does it affect the 850 pro?

The bug is that old data (cells that has not been written in a long time) on the 840 EVO takes much longer to read. The fix is to have the controller rewrite data that it knows is has not been written to in a long time. I believe this effects the 840 EVO only.

So it will reduce how long the drive will last.

It may shave a few years off the lifetime (which is under normal load should be measured in decades for 256GB or larger drives).

And the new magician doesn't work on OEM EVO drives (such as the one in the SP3) so diskfresh is the only way to restore performance on those drives
There's a performance restoration tool for the Samsung PM851 SSD that is used in the Surface Pro 3. It's not the same version as the 840 EVO but it might help restore the performance.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/html/product/flash-solution/ssd/downloads/Samsung_PM851_Performance_Restoration_v10.zip

Back