8350 cooling issue.

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
Recently I upgraded my CPU to an 8350, Im having an issue with the CPU overheating any time i run ARK, CS:GO, Bioshock Infinate, H1Z1, heroes of the storm, or league of legends. My CPU temp is hitting 65degrees+ and my sabertooth temp sensors go apeshit. Its BSOD'd, and also has hit shutdown temps causing my computer to blackscreen and completely crash out. Generally this happens during loading any of the applications. generally it idles at around 50-55 degrees.

Could my cpu just be over headting due to either thermal paste (Artic silver 5) drying out? Maybe stock cooler seating issue? or should i just upgrade my cpu heatsync+fan?

If so can you reccomend me a good cpu;Heatsync+fan <3

System specs.
Asus Sabertooth v2.0
AMD 8350 (not OC'd); stock cooling
Crucial balistix udimm 16gb (dual channel setup(2 sticks 8gb)) ddr3 UDIMMpc2x1600
2x MSI 7870's (crossfired stock speeds.)
EVGA 800w psu

win7 x64 ultimate-n

which scythe are you reccomending? my buddy told me the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler" was a good route to go but i figure, id get a better response here.

I would check that the heatsink is properly seated. The stock cooler is not exactly ideal, but that shouldn't be happening. The paste shouldn't be drying out that fast either. Is the whole case heating up? Is the case ventilated? Why did you spend money on Artic Silver 5 if you are keeping the stock cooler? Did you remove the thermal strip on the stock cooler? That pink/orangeish square. That's your thermal paste basically.

EDIT: Also, any AIO water cooler unit will help out tremendously. You don't have to be picky unless you plan on doing some good overclocking.

I would also recommend the Hyper 212 Evo. It does a good job on my 8350 clocked at 4.4. I would check to see if it would fit your case, as it is pretty tall.

i always remove the stock pad, with acetone. as5 seems to do the job with every cpu ive had in the past. I just reseated the cpu with fresh as5. didnt seem to make a difference. still getting the same temps. the stock cooler seems to be the problem. ive got the coolermaster haf xb evo case. . Idk if it will fit the evo cooler, but I could be wrong. ive got 3 120mm fans on the case one of which desperately needs to be replaced cause i think the bearings are smoked.

You have to have the fans in the case properly mounted in the correct direction also. If you have them fighting each other then it's a recipe for disaster also. Someone else can explain how that works better than me. I like to ask and the [H]ardocp users always have great tips. ;)

I had horrible luck w/the stock cooler on the FX series cpus. I'm on my third now; I've used two 8320s and currently running an 8370e. I'll go as far as saying they're notorious for being insufficient and overwhelmingly loud. All mine have given me performance and noise problems similar to what you see in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5MVIaUMci4

My suggestion is to get an Evo 212 cooler. Much better and definitely quieter.

The only problem I've had w/mine, and this may be handy since you may be looking at new fans anyway, is the stock Evo fan started making a grinding sound after about 6 months. It was subtle and only lasted a few minutes on cold boot at first, but gradually got worse until it never went away. I purchased a twin pack of Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans. Problem solved. They cool a tad better too.

Last edited:
The only thing the AM3 stock heatsink is good for is for tossing on APUs.

Stock APU heatsinks are dreadful, the aluminum block is so light that it almost floats away and the fan sounds like a 1990s Quantum hard drive at any speed.

Yeah the Hyper 212 is a very good option and can even handle a good but of overclocking. You won't be able to get 4.8 or anything like that but could be good for 4.3 probably. I ran a Hyper on my old 8150 when I first got it and it ran 4.3 with no problem. Dollar for dollar it's about the best cooler on the market.

Hyper 212 worked great on my 8350. After I changed cases it no longer fit, so I went with a low-profile Noctua solution. If your case limits your height, you may want to look at their (Noctua's) website.

which scythe are you reccomending? my buddy told me the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler" was a good route to go but i figure, id get a better response here.

I've used the Scythe Mugen4 on a i7-3770 and it works great. But really, silentpcreview is the best resource I know of for this type of information. The link I gave gives several tables of information for different size classes, and they have in-depth reviews.

I've got the coolermaster haf xb evo case. Idk if it will fit the evo cooler...

According to the reviews on NewEgg, it will. But only if you're not running a 200mm fan on the case lid. Since you've only mentioned running 120s, it sounds like the cooler should fit, but probably best to do your own research before purchasing.

Last edited:
Back