80pin Ultra160 SCSI Question

JAW

Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
518
Will Ultra320 drives work on a Ultra160 raid card? We have a server here with 3 18gig 80pin Ultra160 SCSI drives and we need more space, so I was wondering if I could replace them with say 36gig 80pin Ultra320 drives? Wheres the cheapest place to buy ultra160/ultra320 drives?
 
Yes, and the bus will run at the highest speed common to all devices. The drives will be backwards compatible with the controller. I have a U320 drive running on an Ultra2 controller right now, zero problems.

ZipZoomFly has an excellent selection of SCSI drives at good prices.
 
I believe the 3 drives are in a raid 5 array, would it be possible to just add two more drives too the array? How would one go about doing that without losing data?
 
If it's an older controller, I doubt it supports online capacity extension. If you are using Windows software RAID-5, it is defintiely not supported. I don't know about Linux RAID-5. Even if it is supported, it's risky business. You should always backup completely before attempting tweaks or adjustments on a RAID-5 array.

The short answer is you should always backup and rebuild if you want to change a RAID-5 array. That is the safe way.
 
Back
Top