80hr Refurb TiVo FREE with 1yr Subscription

Bellz

Limp Gawd
"80-hour factory-renewed TiVo Series 2 box for FREE when you sign up for 1 year of TiVo® service for just $12.95/month or prepay at $155.40."

Found this on Techbargains this morning. Not a bad deal. No rebates, just a 1 year committment for the service.

Linkage

Bellz said:
"80-hour factory-renewed TiVo Series 2 box for FREE when you sign up for 1 year of TiVo® service for just $12.95/month or prepay at $155.40."

Found this on Techbargains this morning. Not a bad deal. No rebates, just a 1 year committment for the service.

Linkage

Tivo seriously charges too much for service. That rate is ok for a year, since you get the receiver for free, but after that, I'd have to cancel and let them beg me to stay for a reduced rate. IMO, it's not worth more than $5.00/month, and I loved my Tivo when I had DTV.

I thought the service was lik 10 a month, 20 is toooo much

Although 13 isnt terrible, but ive seen it usually 20 a month and thats way too pricey

nilepez said:
Tivo seriously charges too much for service.

well the real question is why would you subscribe to use a DVR lol

personally I'd get a DVD or HD recorder and a splitter...voila!

it wouldn't be bad if the lifetime fee was the same as the price of the hardware and the hardware came free...lol

Spetsnaz Op said:
well the real question is why would you subscribe to use a DVR lol

personally I'd get a DVD or HD recorder and a splitter...voila!

it wouldn't be bad if the lifetime fee was the same as the price of the hardware and the hardware came free...lol

Because Tivo is better than other DVRs I've tried. Your solution works great as long as things start and finish at the same time every week. But if, for example, you wanted to record Ebert and Roeper, which in many markets changes time slots every week, it's not very convenient. With Tivo, I just say, record new eps of Ebert and Roeper and it does it.

And if there's no new episode, it doesn't record it at all. I visited my brother a few months back and used whatever DVR they got from Time Warner, and it was much harder to use and worse still if you started watching after it started, it'd switch to the end of the episode when it was done recording, forcing me to restart the show and fastforward back to where I was.

I don't know how Dish's latest HD DVR is, but the original one was so bad they dropped them and went back to the drawing board. HD Tivo worked like a champ from day one.

Interesting tidbit, I called TiVo to cancel my subscription about 2months ago. Instead they told me if I kept the service it would only be 5.99 a month forever.

I kept it lol

Xiro said:
Interesting tidbit, I called TiVo to cancel my subscription about 2months ago. Instead they told me if I kept the service it would only be 5.99 a month forever.

I kept it lol

Yup, I've read about that before. I think the first year fee is really to recover the subsidized cost of most machines.

It reminds me of when I cancelled Direct TV a couple of years back. They offered to lower my bill. I said no thanks. They said what if we add in a free premium package for 6 months? I said nah. They then offered me all of that and a $75 credit. I didn't take it, since the place I moved to already had it (just added my receiver to that plan). I've heard similar stories if you try to cancel cell phone service.

this may seem like a hot deal... but I think they run the same deal on non-refurbs... At least they did at one point... I know my dad picked one up...

So i decided after seeing the deal on non refurb i would bite, and let me tell you i can't wait to get this box.

155 is a steal for a box and a year of Tivo, plus i hear if you try to call and cancel they may throw you a 7$ a month plan, which is great for me. If not, and i really like the box, ill just up to the 13$ a month for a year. That doesn't bug me as much as 20$ does.

I really think this will be great for when im at school and just cant watch a tv show. I hear awesome things about tivo, and since my Cable card in my comp is trash quality, i bit and had to buy this.

DaRat said:
So i decided after seeing the deal on non refurb i would bite, and let me tell you i can't wait to get this box.

155 is a steal for a box and a year of Tivo, plus i hear if you try to call and cancel they may throw you a 7$ a month plan, which is great for me. If not, and i really like the box, ill just up to the 13$ a month for a year. That doesn't bug me as much as 20$ does.

I really think this will be great for when im at school and just cant watch a tv show. I hear awesome things about tivo, and since my Cable card in my comp is trash quality, i bit and had to buy this.

grats. I'm sure you'll like it....though if it has less than 250gb of HD space, you may want to swap drives....you can never have too much HD space :p

Just saw another post...so you're getting 2 tuners....now if I had an antenna or cable came in better, I might have to bite. One of these days I'll switch back to DirectTV.

nilepez said:
grats. I'm sure you'll like it....though if it has less than 250gb of HD space, you may want to swap drives....you can never have too much HD space :p

You don't really need to bother with drive swaps anymore, since they put out the desktop software that allows you to backup the shows to your computer. Nice way to fill up the 500 gig drives on the server. :)

I lucked out a few year ago by buying a Toshiba DVD player/TiVo machine. I was enticed by the sale price $200 (when it was still $300-350 online) and the free life time basic service. Apparently the free life time service was being tested, so its the only one (i think there maybe a 2nd model) with the free life time service.

Though I don't get the option to move files over to my computer like the previous poster mentioned. The memo that was sent out had my model number in small print at the very end. :rolleyes:

Malk-a-mite said:
You don't really need to bother with drive swaps anymore, since they put out the desktop software that allows you to backup the shows to your computer. Nice way to fill up the 500 gig drives on the server. :)

I think my DirecTivo had the ability to transfer the files to your HD, but i never got a network card for it. I did disable encryption on it at some point...but it's been in a box for a year or 2.

Back