• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

80GB HDD suddenly full!?

R

ring.of.steel

Guest
hi guys,

i have been a long time reader here and i have only just registered. I have had this system up and running for about 3 months. one morning i boot up the computer and i get disk space low message. to my disappointment i found out i have 1 byte remaining. i have looked everywhere and i cant find these hidden files. I am running xp pro sp2. Any ideas?

Cheers
 
Any P2P running? You could try and use something like Spacemonger (google) to analyze your disk and find where the space is going to. FolderSize is an explorer pluging that does a similar job, but when activated makes HDD browsing slow.
 
Thanks,

I have installed space monger and i have found 52gb of Unscanable data that i have no idea where it is. Any Ideas? I do not have any p2p running but bitorent is installed


Cheers
 
Thanks,

I have installed space monger and i have found 52gb of Unscanable data that i have no idea where it is. Any Ideas? I do not have any p2p running but bitorent is installed


Cheers

Most times Bittorrent clients will preallocate disk space before it starts downloading a torrent file. So if you download a 4GB file, you will have a 4GB file full of zeros on your hard drive.
 
i have looked in the download folder and found nothing. i guess its just time to do a reformat?

thanks
 
porn much?

j/k

maybe you have some type rootkit virus, and the author is using your computer as a storage server, with all of the files hidden in the rootkit / hidden folder ?
 
No it doesn't mean that i don't have at porn, but the point is i don't.
 
Then why did you state your age? Anyway, I think you're jumping the reformat way too early. Unless you have a 100000000000mbps connection, I highly doubt that someone would take the time to use your system as a storage server. I mean, 80gigs take enough time transferring between HDS, it would take a million years to transfer 80gigs via the internet presuming you're on a 56k connection.
 
Then why did you state your age? Anyway, I think you're jumping the reformat way too early. Unless you have a 100000000000mbps connection, I highly doubt that someone would take the time to use your system as a storage server. I mean, 80gigs take enough time transferring between HDS, it would take a million years to transfer 80gigs via the internet presuming you're on a 56k connection.

I see what you are saying, i have never seen this problem but i am a Linux user mainly, strange :confused:. I have ran a full chkdisk and it just freezes on 37% every time, I guess that could be when it reaches the missing space?

Cheers
 
Get the tools provided from the manufacturer and run tests on the hard drive. I am willing to bet that the hard drive is dying.
 
Thanks, downloading WD diagnostic and data lifeguard tools. If its a nakerd drive would i be looking for 1000's of bad sectors?

thanks
 
Once you run the diagnostic tools it will either spit out a code that you need to look up on the site or it will tell you what is wrong/severity of the problem.
 
If you used the program IOMeter, look for a file called iobw.tst or something like that.
 
I am currently running the extended test on that machine now, it has passed the basic test with no problems.
 
Just finished the extended test:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD800JD-00MSA1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAM9FA42877
Firmware Number: 10.01E01
Capacity: 80.03 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 17:27:22, January 07, 2007

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD800JD-00MSA1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAM9FA42877
Firmware Number: 10.01E01
Capacity: 80.03 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 17:54:18, January 07, 2007

Is there any other software i could use?

Thanks

Sorry about the date and times my CMOS battery is dead
 
Sounds like your MFT (NTFS) or FAT (FAT32) got screwed up somehow and is showing that clusters are bing ocupied when they aren't. I'd go ahead and reformat and reinstall.
 
If you do not care about the data, reformat and reinstall ought to be a good choice. If you are curious, you could see whether tools like GetDataBack (google) will find the hidden information.
 
cheers guys for all the help. all the data is backed up so il reformat. Might just switch back to linux :confused:
 
Back
Top