8086K multiplier woes

TastEPlasma

Limp Gawd
Perhaps you can educate me on what I'm missing here.

Hardware:
ASUS Maximus X Hero (up-to-date firmware)
Corsair 3466 DDR4
Intel 8086K
Corsair H115i PRO

In default settings, the multiplier appears to be locked at 43, as in tests (Prime95, gaming, etc) it never goes much above 4300 Mhz.

Now, in the BIOS I can set the multiplier (either in individual cores or Sync All) to 50, and I get 5000 Mhz.

Problem is, it never throttles down, so everytime I open Notepad it generates enough heat to spin the fans up a bit on the H115i.

What setting am I missing here? How can I make 5.0Ghz available as needed, but allow the chip to throttle down when nothing is occurring or the work load is very light?

My last chip, a 3820, did this exact thing. Is this not a thing any more?

Thanks.

Perhaps you can educate me on what I'm missing here.

Hardware:
ASUS Maximus X Hero (up-to-date firmware)
Corsair 3466 DDR4
Intel 8086K
Corsair H115i PRO

In default settings, the multiplier appears to be locked at 43, as in tests (Prime95, gaming, etc) it never goes much above 4300 Mhz.

Now, in the BIOS I can set the multiplier (either in individual cores or Sync All) to 50, and I get 5000 Mhz.

Problem is, it never throttles down, so everytime I open Notepad it generates enough heat to spin the fans up a bit on the H115i.

What setting am I missing here? How can I make 5.0Ghz available as needed, but allow the chip to throttle down when nothing is occurring or the work load is very light?

My last chip, a 3820, did this exact thing. Is this not a thing any more?

Thanks.
you need the bios power saving settings enable and then under your power plan you need to allow it to lower the cpu max speed.

Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to find and identify the setting. In the ASUS BIOS it is referred to as CPU C-States. Thanks!

I enabled it there, then went into Windows and selected the "Balanced" power option, and got the speed throttling via dynamic multiplier.

What is odd is that when I go into Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Processor Power Management -> Minimum Processor State and change the number in there, Windows completely ignores it. Doesn't matter what plan I am using, or if I restart the system, this field is completely ignored.

Back