802.3ad supported switch for cheap

MadHatter

Limp Gawd
Can anyone recommend any good switches that will support 802.3ad... that are on the inexpensive end? I'm hoping to keep an eye out on ebay for one used.

What are the requirements bandwidth wise? You may want to look into Dell/HP if you're looking for gigabit with LACP support. If you dont need gigabit grab some used Cisco hardware on ebay, you can pick up a 2950 dirt cheap these days. Hell, you can grab a 3550 for about $250 shipped.

Ah should've specified in orig post. I'm looking for gigabit.
yeah, you've got to pay to play... with Cisco... so Dell/HP is your best bet for keeping it on the cheap. You'll get some SoHo recommendations I'm sure but I prefer to sacrifice bandwidth for functionality/longevity. Whats your budget look like? What are you using the switch for?

HP 2824, love it.

Have to do manual 802.3ad, the automatic only sticks trunks in vlan1 which is useless. But once the manual is set up, it works great..

Dell 28XX I have a few 2808s out in the wild work great.

Got the last 2808 for ~80.

Whats your budget look like? What are you using the switch for?
Still looking at what an appropriate budget should be for such a thing. I'm sitting more in the $200-$300 range (like I said, used is acceptable to me), and I'm looking to to link aggregation for a gigabit network (partly as testing as a lab setup, and hopefully to improve network transfers for my fileservers).

I know the common next question would be to ask what drives the fileservers have..(to imply the drives will be bottleneck) one is RAID5 on SCSI 15k's, and the larger, but slower one is running SATA drives (this I know will be bottleneck until I upgrade parts/get on RAID).

HP 2824, love it
Looking at the 2800 line, these really do seem like what I'm looking for.. and relatively in my budget range when looking on ebay. Thanks for the input!

Looking at the 2800 line, these really do seem like what I'm looking for.. and relatively in my budget range when looking on ebay. Thanks for the input!
Alot of the guys around here love that switch, so it has a good user base here. Seems pretty solid to me. If I wasn't so lucky idd probably go with it honestly.

Dell 28XX I have a few 2808s out in the wild work great.
Wow! Even cheaper than the HP ones and have 802.3ad for ~$100! These seem pretty comparable to the HPs.. anyone know what the HPs have over the dells to make it worth the extra cash?

Wow! Even cheaper than the HP ones and have 802.3ad for ~$100! These seem pretty comparable to the HPs.. anyone know what the HPs have over the dells to make it worth the extra cash?
HP is WAY more solid than Dell as far as networking goes. They have a better track record and have a much larger user base when it comes to networking platforms. Idd EASILY go with HP over Dell. Ive used both back in the day, and the dell had failed ports well before the HP did if that means anything to you. This was in a controlled DC environment too, so same environmental conditions.

Idd EASILY go with HP over Dell. Ive used both back in the day, and the dell had failed ports well before the HP did if that means anything to you.

Yikes! Well then I'll stick to the HP's. I'll keep looking out for a good price on ebay or elsewhere for the 2840 which looks like it would be great for me. Thanks for all of the input everyone (and quick responses!) :)

Yikes! Well then I'll stick to the HP's. I'll keep looking out for a good price on ebay or elsewhere for the 2840 which looks like it would be great for me. Thanks for all of the input everyone (and quick responses!) :)
Remember, I said back in the day(which was like 7 years ago).. things may have changed with design :p

Remember to post pics in the network picture thread too! :D

HP is actually the OEM. Dell just contracts the design and manufacturing out to a third party, and considering the price they sell the gear for, probably the lowest bidder too. I have a Dell 5324 I've been pretty happy with in my home setup, the web interface is garbage but other than that it's been working well. Subjectively they don't seem any better built than say a Netgear. Tough to beat though as it's a fully managed switch for a very low price; I don't think I could afford anything else, however the price of used HP 2824 has come down in the past year or so since I bought it and might be within reach now. Also HP seems to have much longer term support for their gear, with firmware updates for even old switches (e.g. Procurve 2524) coming regularly, and the lifetime warranty is nice too.

Back