802.11n networks good for gaming?

hunterx280

n00b
I am wondering what the latency is like on an 802.11n network?

I just finished building a brand new PC but found that my old G wifi card doesn't work with Vista x64 due to a lack of any actual drivers. I have been thinking of upgrading my wireless network to an 802.11n and I figure if I am going to do it, now is a good time. This is primarily a gaming PC and my past experience on 802.11g is that there is just too much latency. Especially with the two bathrooms between my router and my PC. Most of the online games I will be playing are FPS.

Thanks in advance!

IMHO no wireless is good for gaming. But if you want to go 802.11 draft-N you'll deff see improvements over G.

Since MIMO is part of the 802.11 amendment throughput should be better as well as distance/signal strength.

If G sucks for you, wireless won't help in gaming much. wireless is wireless. N can greatly increase your range, and throughput, but not latency.

If you can't run wire..get a pair of powerline ethernet adapters. They have latency equivalent to cat5.

Everything you are saying is about what I figured I would hear. Looks like I will need to have my roommate call the cable company and make sure my coax outlet is active so we can both get on ethernet. I know that will be the preferred method for his late night WoW gaming as well.

EDIT: I've got the modem and router closer to my desktop and I'm running on ethernet now. It works wonders.

Thanks for the info!

Back