802.11g Outdoor to indoor range question

ubern00b15

Gawd
My friend who lives on the street behind my house bought a d link 802.11g router and its sitting in the window pointing tward my house. if I bought a 802.11g card, could it get signal from the router in my house if the house is about 50 yards away? where should i put the antenna?

note: there is a lightly wooded area between the houses, but their house is on a hill above the tree tops

There is always a possibility.. but no promises. There are a lot of factors that come into play when figuring out range of a wireless access point.

That's about the distance between me and a friend that share my dsl connection. I've got a small omni-directional antenna outside of my window form my router, and he's got a high gain cantenna that I made, and it connects from 1-11 mbps depending on weather. It should be doable with some antennas on each end, but I'd recommend getting a router for your end as well, so you can slam it against a window, then run a cat5 cable to your machine from that.

I personally like the linksys wrt54g, since with hacked firmware you can control the amount of power it puts out. Don't expect anywhere near full speed on the connection, 1-5.5mbps is more realistic without some high gain directal antennas in this case.

I second the antenna motion.

www.fab-corp.com

Those guys are awesome! Fast shipping and good prices. Also, if you mention 'Netstumbler' in your order, you get 10% off.

Id go with a Yagi antenna, or make a Cantenna if you are the creative/constructive type.

Back