£800 UK gaming build

Brad Gamma

Weaksauce
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, perhaps light video encoding too (to be moved to my HTPC).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
£800 is my ideal budget, but another £100 on top if anyone can see a substantial performance boost.

3) Where do you live?
Birmingham, England. I will most likely be purchasing my stuff from www.ebuyer.com, its our closest thing to newegg I think. This will be the biggest challenge for this thread, prices don't exactly translate well, so I won't mind if I dont get any responses :)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Mobo, RAM, HD, Graphics Card, Optical Drive, Case

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitor, KB + M, speakers.
The rig in my signature is going to be sold to a friend.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Out of the box performance would be priority, but I'd like the option to overclock in the future. I consider myself a novice with OCing so a mobo thats easy to tinker with, or has lots of online guides would be appreciated.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24 inch, 1920x1200

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I am pretty much ready to go, but will consider waiting for the new intel lineup, depending how budget friendly it will be. I would like an idea of what I could get today though.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
SLI/crossfire is a definite no. USB3 would be nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I have a full version of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Just to add, low power consumption is a big factor for me. I don't mean unrealistically low, but I need to take it into consideration where the graphics card and PSU are concerned. So I think I will be going ATI over nVidia for budget and power. If one card manufacturer makes a slightly lower performance card with lower power consumption, I will probably prefer that one. Also I do not need to future proof myself with the PSU, I will never be adding SLI or Crossfire and if the power used by GPUs/CPUs trends up and up in the future, then I will just take a performance hit. Needless to say, I am willing to pay a bit extra for PSU efficiency.

Other than that I really don't know what parts to get. I am looking at an i5, ATI 6870 sort of setup, but other than that I'd just be randomly picking parts that look half-right and are compatible.

£139.94 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU
£107.57 - Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 ATX Motherboard
£48.32 - Corsair XMS CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
£199.37 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
£29.09 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
£112.55 - Seasonc X650 Gold 650W Modular PSU
----
Total: £636.84 plus shipping

I went with Scan.co.uk since they offer slightly better priecs than eBuyer. In addition to those savings, the parts availability was greater than with eBuyer. So in other words, Scan.co.uk is more closer to Newegg than eBuyer is.

Anyway, still plenty of room left for a SATA DVD burner (I think you can figure this one out yourself) and a case of your choosing. Speaking of cases, I recommend the following:

$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S 1000 RC-1100-KSN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$240 - Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Case
$220 - Lian Li PC-A71F Black ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case
$330 - Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Full Tower ATX Case

Sorry, don't have time to get UK links for all those cases.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow thanks for the quick response, and even for pointing me to Scan. I've used them in the past, but a long time ago and I guess I've gotten complacent using eBuyer for things.

No worries about the case links, thats gonna come mostly down to personal preference any way and thats a great list.

If I go for one of the more modest cases do you think it would be worth throwing in another 4gb of RAM?

Also I might spring for a 1TB drive too, I see the samsung F3 recommended a lot would that be a good choice for an extra £10?

Wow thanks for the quick response, and even for pointing me to Scan. I've used them in the past, but a long time ago and I guess I've gotten complacent using eBuyer for things.

No worries about the case links, thats gonna come mostly down to personal preference any way and thats a great list.

If I go for one of the more modest cases do you think it would be worth throwing in another 4gb of RAM?

Also I might spring for a 1TB drive too, I see the samsung F3 recommended a lot would that be a good choice for an extra £10?
No prob. And thank you :)

For gaming, an extra 4GB of RAM won't really help out at all. However if you want to spend it, adding another 4GB of RAM can't hurt.

The Samsung F3 1TB is a good choice for an extra £10

Well at least with RAM I can just add some more down the line quite easily.

Now I've just got to pick a case, which means I will now be on the internet looking at pretty pictures for the next 10 hours. Moving to a case thats not the antec 900 and getting a modular PSU will hopefully make wiring this thing a more pleasurable experience.

Thanks a bunch Danny.

Well at least with RAM I can just add some more down the line quite easily.

Now I've just got to pick a case, which means I will now be on the internet looking at pretty pictures for the next 10 hours. Moving to a case thats not the antec 900 and getting a modular PSU will hopefully make wiring this thing a more pleasurable experience.

Thanks a bunch Danny.

No prob. Good luck with the case choice!

I was going to come on this thread and recommend scan.co.uk too but saw the second post!

In addition to the price, they offer excellent installation insurance for really cheap. It's really really worth it and once saved me nearly £500 in new parts.

Back