• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

800 to 1066 ram setting help?

Taipans

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
66
I have 1066 rated memory in my new system, and as I expected the bios is showing it running at 800. Does anyone know what I have to change in the bios to have it properly clocked in at 1066?

RAM: Mushkin Extreme Performance 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 1066
MB: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 NForce 780i SLI

Im guessing I have to bump the clock speed and increase voltage but I am not sure by how much and don't want to make my system unstable!

Thanks!
 
You should be able to find a bios setting that changes the ram speed to FSB ratio... It's probably currently set to Auto or something. Check your motherboard manual for bios settings, should be in there. I don't have a board with that chipset that I've played with so I donno where exactly it'd be.
 
Ok I will check that out tonight, so far all I did was change the timings but left it at 800.

Thanks
 
yeah, changing the memory speed/ratio/whatever it's called in your bios option from 800 to 1066 will fix that, you shouldn't need to mess with the timings either, since there should be an SPD profile with the ram's rated speed and timings in it :D
 
According to the bios it did not detect the correct timings. I set it to what was marked on the chip sticker. 5-5-4-12 or something.
 
odd, though a good call on your part. i need to start promoting proper programming of SPDs, so many companies seem to suck at it :rolleyes:
 
I don't get it either, this stuff should be plug n play. I am guessing though 1066 memory is infact 800 that can handle 1066 speeds? Something seems weird.

:eek:
 
well, the problem is that until pretty recently, DDR2-1066 wasn't an official standard, so most companies don't program it into the SPD for "compatibility" reasons
 
Micron announced a 1.8v 1066 IC last year but I don't think I remember actually seeing them out in the real world. And, unless you currently have modules that will boot and run stable at 1066 AND at 1.8v, it's pointless to set the SPD to boot it at 1066 and 1.8v. The closest thing to plug n play at 1066 is EPP. XMP will theoretically do it but Intel is only doing that for DDR3.
 
Yeah I had the same problem with my Corsair 8500 quad kit. It is programmed to run at 800 with the SPD timings and 1066 with the EPP timings. Took me awhile to get it to run at 1066 on my intel system. I had to force the 1066 speed and memory timings as well as kick the voltage up to 2.2 to get it to run. Major pain in the butt.
 
Yeah I had the same problem with my Corsair 8500 quad kit. It is programmed to run at 800 with the SPD timings and 1066 with the EPP timings. Took me awhile to get it to run at 1066 on my intel system. I had to force the 1066 speed and memory timings as well as kick the voltage up to 2.2 to get it to run. Major pain in the butt.

EPP is not compatible with Intel chipsets. Setting the speed, timings, and voltage manually is standard for anything above and beyond SPD.
 
If i'm not mistaken, EPP is only available on the Nvidia chipsets...on both my 680i and 780i boards, i have to do SLI-memory enabled, but left the OC at 0% and viola. Bios detected the ram at 1066 and ran all timings properly. I also use the Dommy 8500. Since it's another chipset involved(?), he will most likely have to manually adjust the voltage, FSB, and -maybe- the memory timings.
 
I have the new evga 780 board and Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC 8500. My motherboard originally set the speed on my memory at 800mhz. I "unlinked" the FSB and Memory speeds and manually kicked the speed for my ram up to 1066. If I did 1065 it would drop the actual speed down to 1046, and if I did 1066 it would kick it up to 1066.

Now the real newb question. Is this the proper way to do this? Do I need to make sure my timings are the same as what the manufacturer says they should be? If I get the speed I want out of the ram should I even mess with anything else?

Thanks for the help, I am very new to the OCing department, and never messed with the bios other than to set up my ide, sata, etc.
 
I have the new evga 780 board and Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC 8500. My motherboard originally set the speed on my memory at 800mhz. I "unlinked" the FSB and Memory speeds and manually kicked the speed for my ram up to 1066. If I did 1065 it would drop the actual speed down to 1046, and if I did 1066 it would kick it up to 1066.

Now the real newb question. Is this the proper way to do this? Do I need to make sure my timings are the same as what the manufacturer says they should be? If I get the speed I want out of the ram should I even mess with anything else?

Thanks for the help, I am very new to the OCing department, and never messed with the bios other than to set up my ide, sata, etc.
If it is stable, it sounds like a good setup to me. If you want to read up on some OCing, you many want to see if you can get more out of your CPU. Other than that though, sounds like you dialed it right in.
 
Back
Top