...80 fps idle...30 fps in battle....10 fps in heavy battle???

gamekid

Gawd
ok.......game is tf2
i know i have a laptop but comon?......css is almost the same way...

all settings are on low, resolution is low too - 1280 x 800 (16:10)

---SPECS---
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Windows Vista™ Premium (fully updated)

i have no idea why im getting so low fps...putting the video settings on low helps, but not by much....is my cpu too slow? other than that..i blame vista :(, i even restarted my pc disabling all services but windows - nothing has been helping

I'd say it's a mix between...

Vista
Mobile versions of the parts you have
TF2 being semi new

I think I saw somewhere that the 8600GT M is like the equivilant to the 6800 Ultra or something.

Vista really isn't that big of a performance hit when you're running a game because it turns off all of the Aero glass features. At most you're taking about a 3% hit, certainly not enough to take you down to 10fps. Here's an article with some benchmarks that back that up. Make sure you're not running too many programs in the background all the same though, especially the sidebar if you have it all loaded up with applications. More than likely though I think it's your mobile hardware.

Try using the newest nvidia driver instead of the one delivered with your laptop. I had the same issue with mine, default driver would get 20fps in CoD4, whereas the newer 169 series will make me get 100fps no prob. You will need a modified .inf though, look for it on laptopvideo2go.com.

I agree with Mr. Hood. On my 6800 GT OC with an Athlon64 4000+ with high settings I'd get high fps and it would be playable all the time, but just not in really heavy situations (which didn't happen often). I don't know how much a faster CPU helps with TF2, but going from the setup above to my Q6600 with an 8800GT my fps went up more than tenfold. (mostly over 100fps at 1600x1200)

I have laptop with 1GB, 1.6GHz duo, x1600 mobility and run the game at high with 20fps in battle. Must be Vista hurting you performance.

I agree with Mr. Hood. On my 6800 GT OC with an Athlon64 4000+ with high settings I'd get high fps and it would be playable all the time, but just not in really heavy situations (which didn't happen often). ****I don't know how much a faster CPU helps with TF2,**** but going from the setup above to my Q6600 with an 8800GT my fps went up more than tenfold. (mostly over 100fps at 1600x1200)

Well in most games they're GPU oriented so I think as long as you have a CPU that doesn't Bottleneck your GPU and isn't plain shit like a P3 then you should get along fine.

ok.......game is tf2
i know i have a laptop but comon?......css is almost the same way...

all settings are on low, resolution is low too - 1280 x 800 (16:10)

---SPECS---
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Windows Vista™ Premium (fully updated)

i have no idea why im getting so low fps...putting the video settings on low helps, but not by much....is my cpu too slow? other than that..i blame vista :(, i even restarted my pc disabling all services but windows - nothing has been helping

I dont have anything that will help you that others haven't already mentioned, but at work I have a macbook pro on XP Pro with the same card and I average 59 fps @1400x900 with settings on high mostly.

Back