8 Port Gigabit Switch - $20

I just saw 8ports at my OfficeDepot today for $10.. so check your local stores for them... can't recall the brand though.. going back over friday to grab a couple for me and a friend

D'oh. Out of stock in Woodland Hills. I looked for it when I was there an hour ago. No wonder I didn't see it. :p

I just saw 8ports at my OfficeDepot today for $10.. so check your local stores for them... can't recall the brand though.. going back over friday to grab a couple for me and a friend
You sure it wasn't 10/100?

I might as well order one for pick up in Burbank. I'll have to take the long way home.

edit: OOS in Burbank now too. :(

some info on it from cnet

doesn't mention jumbo frame support. still a sweet deal
Jumbo frames don't really seem to make that much of a difference in my experience. I can still transfer stuff at 100mb/s+ with jumbo frames disabled between my laptop and server. Reviews state that it supports jumbo frames, so, it really doesn't matter either way.

Jumbo frames reduce cpu utilization and help large transfers when there's lots of other traffic on the network.

These do have 9k jumbo frames, but I'm a bit skeptical because the buffer is only 8k per port.

I'm using two of those switches.. an 8 port, and the 5 port model. They work great. I don't have jumbo frames enabled though, because you're supposed to have all NIC's on the network configured the same way with jumbo frames, but some of my cards don't support the same settings. Anyhow, they are a solid switches for the money. I can transfer as fast as my hard drives allow over the network, with some overhead of course. Usually it's over 60MB/sec.

i saw it earlier but was waiting for some reviews, now its not working anymore...

You can still pick them up in stores (though the item has been discontinued, so quantities are limited).

I have one of those Trendnets.. horrible, can't use it. Every time a decent load starts on it, it drops to 100mbit. I have a gigabit Linksys I use instead. I was going to have it connect my HyperV server to my OpenFiler box for iSCSI at home to segregate my traffic, but just the linksys alone does a better job since it doesn't drop to 100mbit when loading a VM off the OpenFiler box.

I have one of those Trendnets.. horrible, can't use it. Every time a decent load starts on it, it drops to 100mbit. I have a gigabit Linksys I use instead. I was going to have it connect my HyperV server to my OpenFiler box for iSCSI at home to segregate my traffic, but just the linksys alone does a better job since it doesn't drop to 100mbit when loading a VM off the OpenFiler box.

That honestly doesn't sound like an issue with the switch, but with the wiring or even whether that machine is running gigabit.

Snagged 2. Anyone know if you can cascade them? Do they have a dedicated uplink or is that not needed?

That honestly doesn't sound like an issue with the switch, but with the wiring or even whether that machine is running gigabit.

Brand new "Cat 6" cables and Intel Pro 1000+ MP Server network cards that have no problems on the Linksys.

Perhaps I just got a dud, or was asking too much from it??

I have an older 8 port TrendNet Gigabit switch that has worked flawlessly under heavy load. It just works 100% of the time. I have heard of some switches overheating. You may check to see if that is the problem with yours.

Back