8 hd array problems HELP

crewzen

Gawd
Sorry large help but I need help. Ok over in the OS format I left an info post there and not much help right now so I am also posting here sorry for the almost double cross post.

But Wendsday at 1:00 pm I started a defrag in Vista 64 today I manually stoped it. That is 18 hours of defraging and not done. The only conclusion I can come to is ?
I have been wondering why the system seems slow. Well if defrags never end, now what. I know there are a few people on here that sware by the Vista defrag who can help me out here?

It looks like Vista 64 can not handle more that 7 disks in a single array I think. But when I think I GET into trouble. Is there anyone else with a large count array that isn't having problems like this and how long do your defrags take.

A little info I am using an adaptec 2 channel controler with 8 scsi 74 gig seagates.
It's a work station, 2-3ghz quad core xeon's 4gig memory, 8800GTS 512, 2 dvd writers.
plenty of cooling and a Supermicro chassis. X7DA8 mobo

Any and all help will be welcome, Thanks

I do not have any experience with this, since I do not run any arrays in Vista.

Vista's defrag process runs at low priority. Do you have any other tasks running? What array do you have (RAID-n)? If defrag does a lot of small writes on a R-5 array, it's bound to take ages. How much free space?

I have 410gig free space. This was a manual defrag with top priority. I even turned the net off and shut down all programs so nothing was running but the defrag utility.

the disk array runs at normaly at 580MBps quite fast. A normal format on the array normaly takes 10 min. when running right, but not in Vista 64 it takes hours. I had XP x64 on this computer before and know how it used to run. But not now.:confused:

I'm really sure either - need more details on how this raid is setup. Is the adapter a true hardware raid controller with the raid configured on the card or is it a plain SCSI controller and you are using some sort of software raid in Windows?

In either case I'd start checking some of the basics - check the driver for the card - maybe try changing it (depending on what it is now) to either the manufacturers driver or to the Windows built in driver. Double check all cable connections - surprising how one can come a little loose and things still run - just not well. Maybe (temporarily) remove any extra cards even try a different video card to be sure something is not conflicting - does not matter that it did fine before - we are looking at right now.

It is a adaptec 2 channel raid card 2230s it uses adaptec drivers not MS drivers. hardware raid controller using both channels 4 drives on each channel for max speed. 320 scsi drives 128 size sectors tried 64 but 128 works better. I have even put in new cables on the drives. Checked all the hotswap parts and cleaned.

Graphics card and the raid card are only cards in workstation.
Drivers are current drivers and up to date same with graphics card.

I just have never seen a defrag take over 20 hours to run like this.

I run diskeeper on all my other systems and they take about 5 seconds to run even on large arrays.

Back