8 Core Hardware - Single Core VM

Landmine

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to set a VM to only have a single core and have that single VM core use the power of multiple cores? Running a program that will only use one core and I'm trying to find a way to make it work better.

Thank you.

If you set a VM to use a single core, the guest OS (and any software run) is only exposed to 1 core.

Yep. The guest OS won't try and schedule multiple threads to be executed on more than one core because it isn't aware of more.

I guess I don't get that AndyWolf post. Because the isues are all based on licensing. SQL Express is limited to 1 socket. Trying to add multiple sockets rather than cores to a single socket in an era where so many programs are limited by socket rather than core is dumb.

His point is that by default if you give a VM 4 vCPUs it's exposed to the guest as four sockets, not a single socket with four cores. So you can "fool" the guest and apps by changing that default.

Excatly. That what doesn't make sense to me. Why did he set the VM up as a multi-socket rather than Multi-core from the beginning? No advantage.

Back