8 Channel audio with only line out?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone help me make sense of this? I have an Asus Strix B450 itx board. The spec sheet says

ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
  • Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with the ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A driven by Japanese capacitors

The back of the board only has the three basic 3.5mm plugs; line in, line out, and mic.
It would seem odd to put a chip that had 8 channel capability, and even advertise it, but not be able to use it. I don't think its referring to audio over HDMI is it?

I have seen mini optical cables, that plug into a 3.5m jack, but don't see any reference to that anywhere.

Here is the boards page.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/overview/

It even shows the codec at the audio ports.
audio.png

ive seen the back mic port be used for 3 port 5.1 but never the front port for sides. the last board I used that had the 3 port 5.1 would prompt and ask what was plugged in, a mic or rear speakers.

ive seen the back mic port be used for 3 port 5.1 but never the front port for sides. the last board I used that had the 3 port 5.1 would prompt and ask what was plugged in, a mic or rear speakers.
Ok thanks. I had never seen this before.

Get a Xonar U7 MkII - it's USB with 7.1 discrete outputs.

You can run a longer USB, place it next to your AVR and use short patch cables to connect it.

Their cabling scheme is an abomination.

Get a Xonar U7 MkII - it's USB with 7.1 discrete outputs.

You can run a longer USB, place it next to your AVR and use short patch cables to connect it.

Their cabling scheme is an abomination.
I was just curious as to how it works. I am just using a 2.1 setup and don't plan to do more in my office.

Back