8.7 out?

well ive never used them, but ive read on multiple websites/forums its a modified 8.5.

Not saying you wrong but either way the full 8.7 are out just get them.

I've never used it either, but version 8.52 is the foundation for Cat 8.8. I've had the real 8.7 for quite a while.

that is correct, u just got to run driver sweeper in safe mode after you uninstall the existing drivers

And just prior in this thread you said that there is never a need to uninstall drivers completely when installing new ones...

i did, i was referring to a single card setup. Crossfire can be more picky, so i was having a little micro stutter.so i wanted to start from scratch.

COD4 is the only game i have the micro stuttering any way. It was a shot in the dark and it worked.

EDIT- Also discovered that i had some nvidia drivers left over some how since my last sweep! (when i first put the ATI cards in to replace my GTS )That could have caused some problems to, completely independent from the ATIs.

Is there any need to uninstall or clean the old drivers out before installing the new? Or can the new be installed right over the old?

either, whatever your more comfortable.

This is how you clean the old drivers.

In windows uninstall ATI drivers, download driver sweeper via guru3d.com.

Restart into safe mode after uninstall

Run driver sweeper select ATI, anaylize & sweep

Restart to normal mode, install 8.7. Thats it.

well that's not even playable :D
i've read on other forums that people are getting better performance with the 8.7 betas than the official 8.7's.

Glad to read that as I have 8.7 beta DNA installed already so don't need to bother with official 8.7 now.

p.s. I saw someone post in this thread about issues in HL2 with 8.6 hotfix driver. I have HL2 and have no issues at all with 8.7b DNA driver.

As an owner of the 4870, I can't say I blame you. The drivers are horrendous, and CCC should be considered a crime against humanity.

What's wrong with CCC? They are much better than the CCC I used to have with my old X800XL. CCC advanced mode seems a lot like Nvidia advanced mode to me except it doesn't have the game profiles section, which I do miss.

I agree.

Don't know where to turn though. I left Nvidia cause I was tired of their crappy drivers and crappy chipsets........anybody remember the 8800GT.........same thing, cards hitting 90-100C cause they tried to make the fan too quiet......people hacking bios.......at least you had Rivatuner working with that card right away. Hope Rivatuner gets updated soon.

??? I have two 8800GT's and they both idle in the 40's and max out to about 65c when running games. Both of mine don't use the stock cooler though. They came with those Zalman style of HSF and one has a heatpipe too.

Then you have the inability to force AA in games.

What do you mean you can't force AA? There are options in my ATI tray icon to force AA, AF and Vsync. Are you saying those options don't work?

QFT! I have been an nvidia fan boy for the past 4 years or so and came back to ati with the 4850 and am flabbergasted that there are no game profiles in their drivers. This is an utter outrage. I can't believe there isn't even some kind of 3rd party utility like nhancer for ati cards. I have a few games that need their OWN settings and it's such a PITA to have to go into the CCC and modify the settings every time I want to play a different game. Nvidia's drivers are crap but at least they are complete. ATI's drivers are crap and are incomplete. No game profiles really is just plain unacceptable.

Get Ray Adam's ATI tray tools when a 48xx compatible version is released. It has profiles etc. With ATI Tray Tools you don't even need to install CCC because ATI makes available a core driver that has no CCC. Just use ATI Tray tools instead.

2. I know the whole thing about "it was designed to run that hot", but where I lieve, in summer you can sometimes get issues with overheating even at stock temperatures. My friend bought custom coolers despite the fact he doesn't overclock just because of the extreme heat (where he was it would get up to 35 degrees INSIDE and well over 40 outside... not quite as bad where I live, but still it gets hot).

BFD. It takes all of 1 minute to set up a custom fan speed. With the fan set at 45% my 4870 is showing 49c at idle and it is 29c outside right now and I don't have my AC on either.

Well, I don't usually bother using forced settings because most newer games have options to turn it off/on in the game itself. As it should be done.

Well, I don't usually bother using forced settings because most newer games have options to turn it off/on in the game itself. As it should be done.

I agree. But the fact that there can be performance and quality differences between the two (force set vs. in-game set) gives me reason for pause.

They are very, very spotty to the extent they work at all.

You do realize that many games today use rendering techniques that make Anti-Aliasing either difficult or impossible to force on, depending on one's setup? (Every Unreal Engine game, etc) I mean, I don't know the context of why they don't work for you, but that's one possible reason.

My Radeon 4870 can force AA in all the games in which it is possible to do so, there is no spottiness at all.

You do realize that many games today use rendering techniques that make Anti-Aliasing either difficult or impossible to force on, depending on one's setup? (Every Unreal Engine game, etc) I mean, I don't know the context of why they don't work for you, but that's one possible reason.

My Radeon 4870 can force AA in all the games in which it is possible to do so, there is no spottiness at all.

My concern is mostly live for speed. It doesn't have its own AA options yet without it, it looks very jaggy and the road texture looks aweful. I normally force 8xQ AA and 16x AF via nvidia control panel, and it makes the game look silky smooth.

Even though live for speed is an old game, I still play it as much as any recent game. So I'd love to know if you can force AA in live for speed. If it does I'd almost certainly be buying one (especially since I can get a 4870 for $50 less than a GTX260 here in australia).

I also had some micro on COD4, w/ the 8.7 . I uninstalled, went into safe mode ran driver sweeper. Went into normal mode, installed drivers restarted, fired up COD4, now it runs even better then 8.6 hot fix.

I'll try this when I get home from work today. I originally had an 8800GTS whose drivers I uninstalled just thru Control Panel. Probably a good idea if I did a clean sweep of the Nvidia & ATI drivers prior to re-installing 8.7. These cards run too good for the money they cost to give up because of some teething problems :).

Get Ray Adam's ATI tray tools when a 48xx compatible version is released. It has profiles etc. With ATI Tray Tools you don't even need to install CCC because ATI makes available a core driver that has no CCC. Just use ATI Tray tools instead.

I will certainly do that if/when he ever releases it.

CCC works great here. It's a bit bloated and slow to load but not that bad. I just go straight to the "All settings" section which is the fastest way to change anything.. Those wizzards and silly previews are a waste of time. Can't say it's any worse (or better) than Nvidia's panel.

In my CCC, there's a dropdown menu called "Profiles", where you can save the current setting as a profile. It can be activated from the ATI tray icon, from a desktop shortcut (which can be moved to the start menu or anywhere you like), or from a keyboard shortcut.. You can also make it so that laucnhing this profile automatically starts a game of your choice.

My concern is mostly live for speed. It doesn't have its own AA options yet without it, it looks very jaggy and the road texture looks aweful. I normally force 8xQ AA and 16x AF via nvidia control panel, and it makes the game look silky smooth.

Even though live for speed is an old game, I still play it as much as any recent game. So I'd love to know if you can force AA in live for speed. If it does I'd almost certainly be buying one (especially since I can get a 4870 for $50 less than a GTX260 here in australia).

Unfortunately I don't have Live For Speed, or I would definitely check that one for you.

I was able to look up on its website though. It seems like one of many changes in the latest patch for the game adds AA and AF options.

Some people in the forums were complaining that forcing AA on gave better quality results before, than with this new in-game AA option. Obviously I can't check if that's true because I don't have the game. Grain of salt, etc etc.

Unfortunately I don't have Live For Speed, or I would definitely check that one for you.

I was able to look up on its website though. It seems like one of many changes in the latest patch for the game adds AA and AF options.

Some people in the forums were complaining that forcing AA on gave better quality results before, than with this new in-game AA option. Obviously I can't check if that's true because I don't have the game. Grain of salt, etc etc.

I downloaded that patch a couple of weeks ago and never noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah, you can now turn it on in game, no need to force it anymore. Cheers.

That greatly affects my choice, as even though its an old game it probably consumes 50% of my gaming time. Now there's no reason for me to not get the 4870, as pretty much all the games I play and any future games will also have the option to turn AA on in game.

I'm running a 4850, and even with the new drivers I'm still having issues with the netflix 'watch instantly' viewer. Anyone else encountered an issue with it?

I'm running a 4850, and even with the new drivers I'm still having issues with the netflix 'watch instantly' viewer. Anyone else encountered an issue with it?

Ive run into that with Nvidia and Intel graphics.... netflix veiwer sucks.

Mostly i'll notice improvement from the 8.6 drivers. How everything is smooth and then like months later everything is still smooth as heck, its just my eyes would be playing tricks on me thinking everything isnt as smooth as it was when it was freshly upgraded.

Back