7v fan mod bad for other components???

Shinare

Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
582
I asked this in another thread but since it was off topic I thought I would ask in its own thread. I am about to build the 7v/off/12v fanbus found in the FAQ. Heres the question:

Is running the 7v mod bad for other components in the system?
 
Of course it's bad. You don't want to undervolt important things such as the CPU. The 7v mod is only for fans and lights.
 
Your question is a bit ambiguous. If you are talking about running components other than fans at 7 volts then they probably just won't run. If you are talking about just running your fans at 7 volts and you are concerned about other components being affected, then no, they won't be affected. When you run fans at 7 volts you aren't actually changing any voltages so nothing else is affected.

edit: I just read the other thread you mentioned and xonik said he was an EE(or something like that), so you might want to take his word for it. I'm not an EE by any means; I'm just a hobbyist.
 
I'm sory, I guess I should not assume that you know what I am talking about simply because I stated that I was going to be using this mod for fans (fanbus). :) My question would be more aptly worded:

By using the 7v mod on my fans, am I going to be hurting other components in my computer?
 
Originally posted by Shinare
I'm sory, I guess I should not assume that you know what I am talking about simply because I stated that I was going to be using this mod for fans (fanbus). :) My question would be more aptly worded:

By using the 7v mod on my fans, am I going to be hurting other components in my computer?

I did get the question in your first post... and no - a fanbus won't harm other components...
 
If you want another qualified answer, maybe you could request this thread to be moved to the Electronics subforum ;)
 
Originally posted by xonik
If you want another qualified answer, maybe you could request this thread to be moved to the Electronics subforum ;)

I've already decided to use your handy little calculator and just slap a resistor on there just to be safe. Your right, its just as easy to do it that way (the right way) than it is to possibly mess up your system going the other route. I could just go rheostat I guess.... hummmmmm.....

I just got my LEDs in the mail for the fanbus today so I'm gonna go get the switches and resistors mañana so I can get it taken care of this weekend.
 
Back
Top